Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oh lordy what did we get ourselves into??

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

oh lordy what did we get ourselves into??

Advertisements
    so this morning we figured it would be a good idea to gut the kitchen.

so i have no cabinets, no sink, and no dishwasher in there right now. dh is vaccuming stuff up right now and tomorrow morning it's off to buy new cabinets! yay!

it'll cost us more, but it's so much less of a headache just gutting the kitchen rather than sanding down and repainting the existing ones. we would have had to replace a door and have to have it custom made, and had to have all new draws custom made anyway.

so...it's gone. my kitchen is gone! but i'm sooo excited! hopefully in about a week i'll have my new kitchen!

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
  2. Senior Member
    Wow, you've got guts to do it that way round! I would have ordered the cabinets first and made sure they would arrive before gutting the kitchen but I think it's a great thing to do! I'd love a new kitchen. I'm with you on the refinishing. Some cabinets you just can't make look better. It's the style of them that makes them look dated or whatever, not necessarily the finish on them. We will be refacing ours at some point (can't afford an entire new kitchen but hate the current cabinets, so new doors will have to do).

Good luck with your project and I hope it's done as quickly as you want! Please post some pics when it's done!
  3. A Beautiful Mistake
    A Beautiful Mistake
    that is really exciting. It'll probally make you feel alot better too just as soon as the task is completed!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

sounds like fun to me! kitchen remodels have a great return on investment.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petsparkle View Post
    Wow, you've got guts to do it that way round! I would have ordered the cabinets first and made sure they would arrive before gutting the kitchen but I think it's a great thing to do! I'd love a new kitchen. I'm with you on the refinishing. Some cabinets you just can't make look better. It's the style of them that makes them look dated or whatever, not necessarily the finish on them. We will be refacing ours at some point (can't afford an entire new kitchen but hate the current cabinets, so new doors will have to do).

Good luck with your project and I hope it's done as quickly as you want! Please post some pics when it's done!
    well the cabinets we took out were pre-fab, so we're just getting new pre-fab. so we went to home depot this morning and added up how much we would need and whatnot and determined we could afford it. we know exactly which ones we need/want. so we gutted today, and tomorrow while i'm at work dh and a buddy are gonna get the cabinets and continue to work.

no way in hell would i gut the kitchen without a plan.

still can't believe we did it though. we were kinda on the fence about getting new ones or trying to keep what we had, but we're gonna be here at least 4 more years, possibly 5, so i'd like to have a kitchen i like. and like RC said, i convinced him to do the new cabinets and do the whole new kitchen for resale.
    Last edited by cricketswife; 07-19-2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: changed wording

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
  6. Senior Member
    fun
  7. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    OOOH - demolition! The MOST fun thing in the world- take what you hate a DESTROY it!
    I can't WAIT to do that to my eyesore of a kitchen!!

I know it's so rewarding to be able to finally get something like that going. Have fun - I can't wait to see it when it's done!!
  8. Jo
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Take pictures while you are doing it....I love looking at our before/during remodel and after pictures.

Post pictures...I'd love to see what you've done.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    Take pictures while you are doing it....I love looking at our before/during remodel and after pictures.

Post pictures...I'd love to see what you've done.
    i agree! that would be neat to see!
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i'll post when we're done! i'm so excited!

it's turning out to be a lot more work than we thought. because well, we gutted everything, pulled up the linoleum and all. so we found some nasty floor boards that need to be replaced. so that's holding us up a bit.

but it's all gonna be clean and new and shinny and awesome when it's done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast