Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Anyone ever hire a fence contractor?

1. Banned
    Banned

Anyone ever hire a fence contractor?

Advertisements
    Okay - we are about to invest a good chunk of $$$ to fence our property. Initially we were just going to fence the back portion (it will be pasture for a horse) but yesterday DH and I were talking and we decided to just bite the bullet and look at fencing the entire property (big selling point for me on that is finally ridding my yard of the neighbor's dogs!). This has pretty much doubled the size of this project. Because DH is not here right now and I really want to move forward with this ASAP - and because, frankly, I am more comfortable with the idea of a professional when it comes to something of this scope - we are going to be gathering some quotes from local contractors and have it done for us. This is the first major investment/project we have done since buying the house so I am a bit nervous about it.
    For those that have done this - what are the things to be aware of going into it? Are there specific questions you wish you had asked up front but didn't think to ask? Are you glad you went the route of a professional or, looking back, do you think you could/should have done it yourself?
  2. Senior Member
    We've never done it but we have really close friends that have and it really depends o what kind of fencing you want. If it's like a wooden privacy fence, those are pretty easy to do yourself(we have). You just buy the wood and supplies, dig the holes for the 4x4 posts, put them in and put concrete around them, then nail up the horizontal boards on the top, middle ad bottom and nail your planks into it. For a chain link, you put the posts in the same way, but you have to rent a machine called a fence stretcher to string up the fence to attach it to the posts. I'm told that's difficult to do yourself if you've never done it. So find out how much you need to fence(footage wise), then price out and decide what kind of fence you want, then decide to hire someone. Either way you have to pay for the materials, but if it's something you think you can do yurself, you could end up saving alot of money. HomeDepot also sells books that tell you step by step how to put up the wooden privacy fences, so you migt want to check into that. Those are decently simple to put up(technicaly) but it's still work. Good luck and let u know what you decide!
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsjones0520 View Post
    We've never done it but we have really close friends that have and it really depends o what kind of fencing you want. If it's like a wooden privacy fence, those are pretty easy to do yourself(we have). You just buy the wood and supplies, dig the holes for the 4x4 posts, put them in and put concrete around them, then nail up the horizontal boards on the top, middle ad bottom and nail your planks into it. For a chain link, you put the posts in the same way, but you have to rent a machine called a fence stretcher to string up the fence to attach it to the posts. I'm told that's difficult to do yourself if you've never done it. So find out how much you need to fence(footage wise), then price out and decide what kind of fence you want, then decide to hire someone. Either way you have to pay for the materials, but if it's something you think you can do yurself, you could end up saving alot of money. HomeDepot also sells books that tell you step by step how to put up the wooden privacy fences, so you migt want to check into that. Those are decently simple to put up(technicaly) but it's still work. Good luck and let u know what you decide!

We're doing a combination of two and three rail ranch fencing (aka post and board). The three rail will run around the area(s) meant for the horse and the two rail will run the remainder of the outside perimiter to tie it all together. All told it will be between 1400 and 1600 linear feet of fencing (there is one area we are debating whether to totally enclose and use for more grazing are or do outside perimeter only) with about 1/2 of it being three rail.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

i've always built fence myself - electric, barbed wire, chainlink, pagewire. 2 & 3 rail board fence isn't gonna keep the neighbors dogs out of your yard tho.

for the horse pasture, you could do the perimeter in board & then section it off using electric tape fencing so that you can rotate the pasture they are grazing on. it's the most effective use of pasture.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwant2be View Post
    i've always built fence myself - electric, barbed wire, chainlink, pagewire. 2 & 3 rail board fence isn't gonna keep the neighbors dogs out of your yard tho.

for the horse pasture, you could do the perimeter in board & then section it off using electric tape fencing so that you can rotate the pasture they are grazing on. it's the most effective use of pasture.
    Oh, I know the rail itself won't do it- but we are planning to do a mesh wire from the bottom rail to ground level on that side of the property to keep the dogs out. They are small non-jumping dogs (our 2 foot mesh fence that we had around the front when we had ducks kept them out of that area) so that will be enough of a barrier for them.
    And, yes, grazing rotation is exactly what I was using as an argument for fencing the entire other section to be used for the horse vs. just the two outside lines. The electric tape is a great idea for even the back portion if we forego the other section - the advantage of using the second section is that the way the property is set up it would actually have a divide almost built in with the original fencing plan so we could easily just gate it and have the two separate areas to move him back and forth between. DH doesn't realize how quickly a horse can over-graze and area and I don't want to end up with a dry lot instead of pasture , blech!
    I miss the property I grew up on - we had 5 acres of pasture that was our's and an additional two ten acre pastures that our neighbor asked us to use because they had gotten up in years to the point that keeping their own livestock and/or haying it was too much trouble so they figured we were doing them a favor by using their pastures.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    BTW, RC, with the rail fencing -- how hard is it to really get it all level/even when the land isn't necessarily completely level? DH's dad would be a great help but even with him I am just not 100% comfortable having a project this size be DH's first big fencing/building thing, kwim?
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miss B Hav'n View Post
    BTW, RC, with the rail fencing -- how hard is it to really get it all level/even when the land isn't necessarily completely level? DH's dad would be a great help but even with him I am just not 100% comfortable having a project this size be DH's first big fencing/building thing, kwim?
    i've never done a rail fence, so i dunno. i've always kept my horses in barbed wire fence. i know it's supposed to be a HUGE no no, but their pasture was so large & the stocking density so low, it was never a concern anyone was going into/thru the fence. the farm i kept my tbred at used the elec tape quite sucessfully.

not sure what state you are in, but look up your local extension office. should be in the phone book in the government section. they can probably help you in all aspects of the project, both DIY & if you are gonna hire someone.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwant2be View Post
    i've never done a rail fence, so i dunno. .
    LOL - I just re-read your reply that had sparked that question and realized I had misread what you wrote. For some reason I had bled together both sentences so that I read it as you had built the rail fence as well as the other types listed (we have always used barbed wire previously - but it's not the "look" we want on this property ). Oops!
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miss B Hav'n View Post
    LOL - I just re-read your reply that had sparked that question and realized I had misread what you wrote. For some reason I had bled together both sentences so that I read it as you had built the rail fence as well as the other types listed (we have always used barbed wire previously - but it's not the "look" we want on this property ). Oops!
    ha ha. my brain does that to me some times too.

seriously tho, call you local extension office. they can provide you with instructions if you're gonna diy, cost estimates, and info on how to select a contractor if you go that route. they can also help you decide how best to layout the pasture if you want.