Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardwood floors-how much work are they?

1. Senior Member

Hardwood floors-how much work are they?

Advertisements
    DH and I have solid oak floors under our house, and we would like to pull up the carpet in some rooms, finish the floor and leave it uncarpeted. My question to you is how bad is the upkeep on them? Are they alot of work?

2. Senior Member
    well my parents have all brand new hard wood floors..and they hired a cleaning lady lol and they get scratched easily
    but we have all older hardwood floors in my house (which is less then half as big as my parents) and its not bad but the floors are already scratched up ...we just sweep and use a swiffer to mop them and they are oober clean so its not too bad

3. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    well no vacuuming, but more sweeping and mopping/swiffering. sooooo it depends.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

4. Hilla
    we have wood flooring in our house and it isnt horrible upkeep and we have FOUR dogs!!! haha... we do vaccum (sp?) often though.
  5. Cookie Queen
    Cookie Queen
    We have laminate floors...they have yet to be scratched and we have two kids and a 90lb dog. Personally I love them and would have laminate over wood anyday. However I like the look of wood/laminate over carpet so I would pull them up. The scratching and whatnot are what gives wood that nice distressed look.
  6. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    I love our hardwood floors. My husband installs and refinishes wood floors for a living. They are easy to maintain.

My little Loves!
  7. Am
    We just put hardwood floors in a bunch of our house. They're the snap in kind so other than a few measurements and a little sawing near the edges, it's not hard to install at all. Also, ours are bamboo which is a little more expensive but they don't get scratched as easily (with 6 dogs in this house, we needed that).
  8. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    OP - we did exactly that! ripped up the NASTY old carpet and used "furring lumber" (sub-grade pine but suitable for our house-style - traditional hardwood floors are teake or oak, etc...not pine) we cut and laid our own - nothing pre-cut and wedge, finished, etc.

the upkeep is minimal. Once or twice a year waxing/finishing/polishing VS weekly/monly deepcleaning ... and all you need to do is sweep or vacuum time to time. Spills and other messes are no big deal to clean up and if you finish it with the right finish it can be very durable and very stain resistant (so I've heard - we've yet to stain/finish our floor. LOL it's been a year but, heck, even an unfinished wood floor is easier to upkeep and clean than carpet in our house)

I LOVE my hardwood floor in the livingroom and I WANT to do the entire house with it - get rid of all carpeting one of these fine days because when you have kids and pets carpet is just nasty.

And wood flooring is, also, CHEAPER than carpet!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We had it in Minot and hated it. You could always see dirt and it was cold. I would have rather had carpet in the bedrooms and hardwod in the living room.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  10. Senior Member
    Thanks for the responces everyone! They are really helpful as I know nothing about a real-wood floor, my parents put in some laminate though and they love it. I want to keep carpet in the bedrooms because I don't want my feet to hit cold floor first thing in the mornings but in the living and dining room I think it would add a modern touch to leave it natural, which this house desperatly needs. I also have carpet in the kitchen, and a husband with muddy boots. Yeah....that carpet is going bye-bye too...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast