Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Black mold

  1. Senior Member
    JustBreathe's Avatar
    JustBreathe is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,655
    #1

    Help Black mold

    Advertisements
    is growing in my shower and I can't get rid of it. Help

  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Shania7337's Avatar
    Shania7337 is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    29,609

    #2
    Comet and a scrub brush usually does the trick...but if you're experiencing the classic pregnancy thing where EVERYTHING smells too strong, try the scrubbing bubbles foaming bath cleaner. You can spray that on, walk away, and wipe it off a few hours later. That foam will eat through it while you do something else
  3. BJo
    Banned
    BJo's Avatar
    BJo is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Your mom
    Posts
    25,315
    #3
    I take a wash cloth with bleach and it does the job.
  4. Senior Member
    JustBreathe's Avatar
    JustBreathe is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,655
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    Comet and a scrub brush usually does the trick...but if you're experiencing the classic pregnancy thing where EVERYTHING smells too strong, try the scrubbing bubbles foaming bath cleaner. You can spray that on, walk away, and wipe it off a few hours later. That foam will eat through it while you do something else
    wth? that is what I use and it isn't working!

  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    LittleMsSunshine's Avatar
    LittleMsSunshine is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    21,797
    #5
    Is your shower one solid unit? Or is it tiled???

    My parents upstairs bathroom was tiled (it's an older house).... and the grout wasn't sealed very well.... so one of the tiles fell off.... and when my DB ripped into it to replace it all... he discovered TONS of toxic mold from years of water getting through the grout and rotting the wall behind the tiles.

    It had actually been making my dad sick.

    I don't mean to scare you, but definitely investigate it further.... that's scary stuff... especially if you're preggo.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Shania7337's Avatar
    Shania7337 is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    29,609

    #6
    Maybe it's the material? What is your shower inside, do you have laminate walls in there, or is it tile? Or something else?
  7. Senior Member
    JustBreathe's Avatar
    JustBreathe is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,655
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    Is your shower one solid unit? Or is it tiled???

    My parents upstairs bathroom was tiled (it's an older house).... and the grout wasn't sealed very well.... so one of the tiles fell off.... and when my DB ripped into it to replace it all... he discovered TONS of toxic mold from years of water getting through the grout and rotting the wall behind the tiles.

    It had actually been making my dad sick.

    I don't mean to scare you, but definitely investigate it further.... that's scary stuff... especially if you're preggo.
    That is exactly what I am worried about. I have been seriously thinking of calling our cheap ass landlord and demanding he do something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    Maybe it's the material? What is your shower inside, do you have laminate walls in there, or is it tile? Or something else?

    I think it's vinyl? It isn't sealed well and it is ancient. One of the many reasons we want to move. It's just nasty and makes me feel skeevy to even take a shower

  8. Account Closed
    JudyB's Avatar
    JudyB is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Feet on the ground
    Posts
    24,811
    #8
    Bleach or mold and mildew remover

    The thing to do is get it cleaned up and then let it dry...after that your landlord can come out and caulk it REALLY well....only thing is that you usually need to let it cure for 24 hours before using it again
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    LittleMsSunshine's Avatar
    LittleMsSunshine is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    21,797
    #9
    Seriously... do a little more investigating and see if you can figure out how bad it is. Because depending on the severity, you guys might have to call in some kind of "mold team" with big ventilators, tyvek jumpsuits, etc to tear everything out and replace it. That shit can be kinda dangerous.

    The ventilators & tyvek might seem like overkill.... but people who do that for a living are exposed to this crap daily... so they don't take chances.

    It's pretty expensive to have them come out (luckily my DB knew how to clear it all out safely, so it saved my parents $$$$$).....

    Luckily the landlord is financially responsible for whatever happens. I hope it turns out to be nothing.... I know what a pain in the ass it was for my family.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •