Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you make 150 Italian Sausages?

1. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries

How do you make 150 Italian Sausages?

Advertisements
    I'm in charge of the FRG fundraising lunch next week... and no one volunteered to handle the meat. (I'm so refraining from all the silly comments I could insert! )

I don't even know where to begin. Even though I've only been a vegetarian for a year or so, I never really made this kind of thing, and certainly not 150 of them!

Can I make them the night before and reheat them? Or does that break some kind of meat prep rules?

Can I boil them, then put them in a crock pot (or several) to keep them hot?

I am so freakin' lost, it's not even funny.

HELP!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    I'm in charge of the FRG fundraising lunch next week... and no one volunteered to handle the meat. (I'm so refraining from all the silly comments I could insert! )

I don't even know where to begin. Even though I've only been a vegetarian for a year or so, I never really made this kind of thing, and certainly not 150 of them!

Can I make them the night before and reheat them? Or does that break some kind of meat prep rules?

Can I boil them, then put them in a crock pot (or several) to keep them hot?

I am so freakin' lost, it's not even funny.

HELP!

Hmmmm...... if you boil them, the skins will probably burst. I suggest cooking them the night before, on the stovetop in a skillet with about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water. When they're done, set them off to the side in a shallow pan (like a Thanksgiving foil pan for turkeys), cover it with foil and refrigerate until the next day.

Cut up some bell peppers (various colors) and some onion slices and pan-fry them in the same skillet as you just cooked the sausages. Just cook them a little bit, just enough to get the sausage-greasy flavor, but still crispy. Keep the peppers and onions in a bag, and then tomorrow stick everything in a bunch of crockpots and when it all gets heated through, serve them on buns or on plates. Use a pair of tongs to pull a honker out and grab a bunch of veggies to slather over the top.

Some people also like to have mustard on their sausages, so you might want to lhave that handy.
  3. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Hmmmm...... if you boil them, the skins will probably burst. I suggest cooking them the night before, on the stovetop in a skillet with about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water. When they're done, set them off to the side in a shallow pan (like a Thanksgiving foil pan for turkeys), cover it with foil and refrigerate until the next day.

Cut up some bell peppers (various colors) and some onion slices and pan-fry them in the same skillet as you just cooked the sausages. Just cook them a little bit, just enough to get the sausage-greasy flavor, but still crispy. Keep the peppers and onions in a bag, and then tomorrow stick everything in a bunch of crockpots and when it all gets heated through, serve them on buns or on plates. Use a pair of tongs to pull a honker out and grab a bunch of veggies to slather over the top.

Some people also like to have mustard on their sausages, so you might want to lhave that handy.
    Thank you!
    This is a big help!!!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Thank you!
    This is a big help!!!
    No sweat. Are you doing them as sandwiches/dogs? If so, you should get some larger-than-life buns. Don't get regular hot dog buns because they suck. You need something with substance.

Use lots of different color bell peppers, and if you feel ambitious, you can throw in some fresh mushrooms, too. Italian sausage is great, but if you're going it as sandwiches, you really need the peppers and onions. If you're getting mild sausages, you might also want a jar of jalapenos alongside the mustard. You don't really need any cheese with this, and you'll need to keep an eye on the moisture so the peppers and onions don't get crusted on the side of the crockpot. for your own convenience, you could just save the sausage juices from each skillet-ful, and then do the peppers and onions separately later so you're not switching back and forth between pans. If your tomatoes have been cleared, you could have a tray of quartered slices and people could dress up their own sausages with the mustard, jalapenos, tomatoes. You need to have the bell peppers and onions in the crockpot with the sausages, though.

Mmmmmmmmm, I'm hungry now.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post

mmmmmm just like at Fenway!
  6. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    We were planning on hoagie rolls, with peppers and onions. But the mustard, tomatoes, and jalapenos are all going on the shopping list now too - thanks!
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    We were planning on hoagie rolls, with peppers and onions. But the mustard, tomatoes, and jalapenos are all going on the shopping list now too - thanks!
    Yummy, sounds great!!

Those are just suggestions- you might want to avoid all the extra expense if you think it won't help your bottom line in the fundraising.

Over the weekend, check out the stands outside Lowe's or Home Depot. they've always got a JonnyBoy's or something out there, and you can get some good ideas from them.

Don't forget lots and lots of napkins.
  8. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Dang it Kristen now i want some sausages for dinner. thanks a lot seriously though I may just go and get some because that sounds yummy!!

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

9. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    Dang it Kristen now i want some sausages for dinner. thanks a lot seriously though I may just go and get some because that sounds yummy!!
    Just drive to VA on Thursday, and I'll gladly serve you one!
  10. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Just drive to VA on Thursday, and I'll gladly serve you one!
    don't tempt me i got time.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast