Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adding some furniture pieces

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

adding some furniture pieces

Advertisements
    to our house. and i need opinions.

i want to get this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40108659 or something like this. ideally i'd like it in black. could i paint this easily black? then it'd match in either the living room and/or the landing for the stairs next to our bookcase (one of those ladder style ones).

i also am looking for a curio or china cabinet, something like this: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...Type=EverGreen
    but definitely don't want to spend that kind of money. these are going to be staples for awhile in our home including when we get out of the navy. i was also thinking maybe a corner unit (get 2 of them) like this: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...Type=EverGreen

i was also thinking something like this for downstairs on the empty wall: http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...1B36F520816217
    i like it because it has the space on the bottom for baskets for dd's toys and then a display area too.

i am also planning on getting a bunch of little ledge shelves such as these: http://www.target.com/Black-Ledge-4-...shelves&page=1

I know it's a lot to look at so if you just pick and choose it'd help too. or if anyone has a good idea what to look for or another place that'd be super helpful too. ideally i'd like to get it at ikea because then it's 1. not so pricey and 2. we can put it together ourselves

i like this for dd's room for extra storage for toys and the like: http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...1B36F520816217
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Great American Furniture in bremerton IS AWESOME!! We got a awesome ashley couch there for a great price and I think they have other things there....

They are so nice and the prices are great...But just a note, they dont allow strollers, which suck!
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We have the ledge shelves and they are great...

I like the china cabinets but it just would take up too much space here and we have a tri level house...

Im in the market for new living room tables!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I am not a decorator by far, but I have two thoughts for you.

#1 We have similar products to that first Ikea pic you posted. I don't think you can paint them. They are like veneer or a pressed wood or something. We bought one thing with the hopes of sanding it down and painting it white and that was a NO-GO. So I would ask the people there to double check.

#2. For the bookcase for her room, I would suggest either a smaller one/half-sized or else you should probably secure it to the wall. Once she is walking around it could become a climbing apparatus for her and be very dangerous. We learned this the hard way and thankfully it was a cat that showed us this and not Riley. (The cat didn't get hurt, but the bookshelf fell instantly! )
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    yeah i'm in the market for chairs for our dining room, last year we bought folding chairs for the table for thanksgiving lol
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennygirl View Post
    Great American Furniture in bremerton IS AWESOME!! We got a awesome ashley couch there for a great price and I think they have other things there....

They are so nice and the prices are great...But just a note, they dont allow strollers, which suck!
    i wear dd all the time anyway lol, it keeps her happier since she normally fusses in the stroller nonstop unless she's passed out asleep
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    That particular IKEA toybox.... I think you'd be ok painting it. It looks like unfinished wood to me, so it shouldn't be hard at all.

As for the hutch.... do you ever browse the furniture ads on Craigslist? There's stuff like that posted on there all the time.... for much much cheaper.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    no i never check craigslist. i've looked at craigslist before and never really seen anything i like but i'll keep checking it
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Id go to GAF, you and your dh should check it out!!

Also craigs list too, you might find good peices there...

And I agree with trey...We have a tiny bookcase in his room right now.
  10. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    We have those ledge shelves! I haven't put them up yet but I really like them!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast