Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Painting a house!!!

1. Senior Member

Help Painting a house!!!

Advertisements
    So I am trying to sell my house.... Its been on the market for 2 months and nothing.... and when people come over they talk about not liking the paint... my selling agent wants me to find someone to paint it.... But I cannot afford to have someone come in and do it... If I could afford someone to come in and paint it... I would... But it looks like I might just do it myself this weekend.... hahahaha.....

What kind of paint should I use? they paint that we have now, comes off the wall if you try to wash the walls I cant remember what kind of paint it is wither...
    What color should I use? Right now we have a range of blues, teal, Hot pink in my daughters room and a yucky mustard/yellow color in the kitchen/formal dining room....
    Anyone wanna come and help me?

TIA
    Mrs. Villanueva
    [/CENTER]
  2. justkristin
    I would do all neutral tones and use a high gloss interior paint.
  3. Senior Member
    I'd go with neutral colors too. Oil based paints will usually peel (plus, they're a pain in the ass to clean up!). I use a semi-gloss on the walls.
  4. Senior Member
    I would use interior semi-gloss or satin. The reason the paint comes off when you wipe it is because it is flat paint. Definitely go with something neutral, I did a light tan color in our livingroom and one wall of the kitchen, and kept the bedrooms off-white when we sold our house.
    I like Sherwin-Williams paint, (I used to work there) because it is great quality, but pricier than what you are going to want for selling a house. If you go to Home Depot or Lowes you can get color swatches. One word of caution: The paint will look much darker on the walls than on the color swatch. You don't want to go any darker than the second lightest color on a color swatch. I love to paint, I would come help if I lived in your area!
    Definitely get latex (water-based) paint! Oil based is stinky and too hard to clean up.
    I forgot to add you may want to get a primer, something like Kilz. Covering those bright colors will probably take more than one coat, but with a primer you might can do one coat of primer and one coat of paint.
    Last edited by Merri; 05-23-2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added something
  5. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Blog Entries
    I was watching on the news last night that you want an off white and to stage your house for selling. get rid of all the clutter.

maybe try googling staging your house to sell and see if anything pops up
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
  6. Senior Member
    I LOVE to paint!!! If I lived close to you I would soo help you out. It sounds like you have flat paint in there already and not only does it come off, it also scuffs VERY easily. I would go with the advice that's been given and use neutral colors with a semi-gloss/satin finish. It's all about having the potential buyers being able to picture themselves in your house and they also won't have repaint as soon as they come in which is less work for them.

On a similar note, I heard some apartments will use flat paint because it scuffs easy making it look like you destroyed the walls that way they can get some of your deposit.
  7. aka yankeelady78
    aka yankeelady78
    I have nothing further to add, just want to wish you luck. My house has been on the market for 11 months, so I feel your pain. We've actually sold it twice now, and twice the loan fell through. We actually have the house listed for less than we bought it for 4 1/2 years ago. But we painted the kids rooms(which were pink and blue) neutral colors too. Good luck, it's a tough market.
    Amy
  8. Senior Member
    There is so much drama in trying to sell this house... I am about to just forget about selling it and just say skip it... though I know DH would hate it if he came home from his deployment and we were still living here...

thanks for the advice ladies... I am going to hold off on painting and putting a painting allowance on it.... ... some things have come up and i dont see myself able to do it.
    Mrs. Villanueva
    [/CENTER]