Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Critique this deck design

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Critique this deck design

Advertisements
    Whatcha think of this deck design?
    I've worked up blueprints for several designs to submit for our permit to build - and this is the one I like by taking my hubby's wants and my wants and squishing them together.
    He wants to be private and away.
    I want to be big for company.

The area along the house - on the left (colored orange) - will be a private, raised deck that'll be surrounded with a trellis for vining roses, etc - and a roof. (measures 8x8 feet) The idea is for it to be a quiet get away from the kids - during the day or late at night.

The area just next to the new door (also orange) - in the corner with the fence/house wall - will be for an outdoor kitchen with a smoker, grill and storage for such items. (measures 6x8 feet)

The lower area - down the big steps (light brown) - will be for casual entertaining, kids playing and guests to hang out and mingle with a wrap-around step into the yard on the 3 exposed sides.

For perspective - the two fence-sections that are coming out from the house are 8' each, that entire fence length is 16' .. The opening without a fence panel is 8 feet. So the deck will extend out from the house for 20 feet.
    It'll run along the house for 22 feet.

Whatcha thinK? Good?

*edit*
    Using the ideas from Princess and quite a few others I've reworked it and came up with this:
    Scroll down to reply #11 for details
    Last edited by Aunt Sponge; 05-17-2008 at 06:12 PM.
  2. Senior Member
    I like it! Good job!
  3. Banned
    Banned
    I like it!
  4. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    A couple things (and you can totally ignore my oppinionated mouth over here! )

1- The end away from the door look very narrow. You most likely want this to be at least 8' deep to allow for a table/chairs etc. If you are cooking out at one end the other should be set up as a sort of dining area.

2- Be careful about how close you put the grill & especially the smoker to the fence, house and the back door. If this is going to be covered you are likely to get a lot of draft into the house from those and that can be messy!

It is hard to tell from this exactly what kind of space you are working with but I personally would suggest swapping the order around a little so that the stairs with the lower deck are closest to the door, then the cooking area (perhaps a small hearth for a fire on the reverse side over the lower deck) and then the eating/relaxing area. This lets kids/dogs/ messy husbands go directly into the yard or house without disrupting the flow of everything else going on, and keep the cooking close to the back door but not so close as to cause smell & smoke problems. Also, setting the lower deck off center protects a little more of your yard.

Sorry this was so long- I'm an architect & love doing this stuff! One of my first jobs that got built was an outdoor kitchen
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I would be putting more rails. Kids could fall thru them easily. Other than that, not bad

6. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Don't worry about the rails I got lazy with my sketch - Our code-regs decide for us that our rails should be 30" high at least and the ballisters be at least 4" apart, no more than 8.
    We have a bunch of little ones so safety is a huge concern. We're also going to put railings down the step into the yard - one on each corner and one midway each side...either that or make shorter steps with rails and plant some small trees for shade.

Thanks for the input on the cooking-area.
    This has been the trickiest part of our design and wants because I have a huge smoker:
    http://www.shopping.com/xPR-Char-Broil-Silver-Smoker And i keep this puppy fired up for endless hours every day.

There's 12' of distance between the back door and where the smoker will be and I still don't know if that's enough...I'll think about it.
    I've debated a lot about where to put it. I picked this spot because I can protect the fence/rail with a heat-wall (brick and backerboard) and the rail on the other side can ensure the kids don't get close to it - but it's fairly accessible from the kitchen.
    Honestly - I'm wondering if planning to have the smoker out there on the deck is just a bad idea. It's not a little hibachi .
    Perhaps I should consider building a smoke-hut away from the house and only having our small, regular grill up on the deck?

Yeah - I'll do that.
    Smoke-hut for the smoker with all the amenities I want - I can make a cutesy little footpath of stone if I want. .. and this little on-deck cooking corner can have the small grill and the shelving unit and small fridge.
    Ah, yes - and that would allow me to use a smaller are afor this purpose and maybe I can build in a bar with room to seat a few. That'd be cool instead!
  7. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!

Yeah for some reason this wouldn't rotate

Anyway- I couldn't resist the urge to draw!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I like it, my only additionans would be more rails for kids, and maybe make the part along the house 10 feet instead of 8 feet wide. But when you get done, wanna do one for my dream house?
  9. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    I like it, I cannot tell from the drawing are both sides the same distance out from the house? It looks like the one by the fence goes out further. I like things even, so I would make them the same width (does that make sense?)
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  10. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Thanks, everyone, for the input and compliments
    I've got the wood stacked up outside so all we need to do is finalize our plan, submit it for approval and then get to building.

Princess - awesome! I love the way your mind works.
    I will definately work up a plan with the steps shifted over to the side - cooking area in the middle and then our area farther off to the side for our getaway spot

Your design works out well for an overhead roof for the entire upper portion - relaxing, cooking, eating, etc...for when it rains, snows, and when it's just blazing hot. Freedom to go in and out without any obstacles.

That will also allow the fence-gate (which we'll put in after we build the deck) to swing open freely without it being too close to the lower deck - I'll have to use it to drive the mower in and out and all that good stuff so the more room the better.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast