Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Sell the collections or put them in storage?

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Sell the collections or put them in storage?

Advertisements
    Ok- a lot of you are familiar with my dirty challenge efforts which have pretty much come to and end. The house looks fabulous!! And I'm actually getting around to decorative stuff like hanging pictures!!

Only, I'm not thrilled with all the stuff we own. I've given quite a bit to charity, etc - but yet i'm left with about 10 containers of my hubby's near and dear collections of this and thats.
    True, all are legitimate collections - intended to turn over in value through the years.
    Only, they're taking up an entire closet that should be dedicated towards clothing and it's my decision that it needs to GO.

So - go how? Sell it (by trying to get his permission) or put it in storage (rent a storage unit, something I've considered doing for a while, anyway) ??
    And if renting a unit - for how long before we decide to let go?

Or should I just learn to love the space these collections take up? Would these things possibly be ruined by being in a Hot/cold climate year round?
  2. Senior Member
    So - go how? Sell it (by trying to get his permission) or put it in storage (rent a storage unit, something I've considered doing for a while, anyway) ??
    Well a storage unit will be about $100 a month does the value increase that much per month {if yes...please share what it is and how to get more} You could sell on ebay, craiglist, or the good ole fashioned classifieds
    And if renting a unit - for how long before we decide to let go? depends, how long will it be before you decide the $100 could go somewhere else? (For me maybe a month)

Or should I just learn to love the space these collections take up?
    If they are really important, maybe...but I would research their values first, and their condition..ie are they mint and likely to stay mint
    Would these things possibly be ruined by being in a Hot/cold climate year round?[/QUOTE] It really depends on what they are but really hot and really cold can effect pretty much everthing except maybe pottery and glass.

Good Luck
  3. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Thank you! That helps.
    I'll research what all these items might be worth and how to best keep them in their condition and decide based on that.

I know that a small 5x5 storage room runs for $20.00/month around here...so if the value increases more than that per month then I think it's worth it until we get our carport enclosed and storage shed rebuilt.