Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: I need decorating ideas!!!

1. Senior Member

I need decorating ideas!!!

Advertisements
    So I am redecorating my living room...I just finished with the bedroom and am now moving on into the living room and will be doing the bathroom at the same time.
    Heres where I need ideas....the living room was attempted as nautical and well I failed and will be moving that them into the bathroom. The bedroom has just been redone in a Persian theme the living room I am at a complete loss with as well as the kitchen (but I am focusing on the living room only right now). The only constrants I have is what ever theme I use has to fit in with the furniture (cant get new ) and the furniture is some what contemporary white leather love seat, sofa, recliner, and black entertainment center.......so um does any one have any ideas?? I am at a loss
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

For good contemporary styles, check out the Ikea catalog online. They actually have some really cool rooms this year and their stuff is super cheap!

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Post pics!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LindsayLin View Post
    Post pics!
    Of the furniture I have? or what was on Ikea???
    These are from Christmas time but you can see the style of the entertainment center and the furniture

5. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    How about something that's so-so nautical. Kabana club or seaside beach, maybe? The tropics and hawaii.
    You could completely do a Modern-comtemporary with some nice, large pieces of solid art: bold shapes with black, grey and shades of taupe.
    Or you could tone it down and go for something that's like a Buddhist sactuary type of thing - wrapped with nature (wood, shell, stone) in neutrals. Maybe a water-fountain.

Maybe you could consider making doors for your entertainment center - so you can hang pictures on it to compliment whatever changing themes you have in the future. Just get some nice cuts of wood - cut it to the size of the opening where your DVD's are, get some hinges and a push-pop latch...Paint it, hinge it and screw the latch in place. Voila. - That'll really give you a blank canvas to work with. All those colors of the DVD's really can ruin whatever look you want.

(so are the words of wisdom from teh woman who's knee high in clutter) LOL
    Hypocrisy runs amuck!!
  6. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    I was thinking of art that is HUGE - and you can do it yourself, actually...because all you need for some simple and bold art is a few tubes of oil or acryllic paint, some paintbrushes and some pre-hung canvas...No talent necessary Just Maybe $50.00 at a craft store - some crossing-over stripes or a sphere. Honestly, like something that was done in high-school art class. LOL - I use to think stuffl ike that looked dumb but it's awesome when you ahve such a "canvas" type of a living space (where everything si the same color)

http://www.printspace.com.au/
    (Inspiring website with lots of contemporary styles and ideas - all with your existing colors (wall, floor, furniture) http://modernnova.com/modern_bedroom_sets.html
    And some of that reminds me that palms and bold oriental poppies are awesome with the taupe/black theme.

Or - not even that - You could just take some cool up-close photos of things: coffee mugs, tree bark, stone, a stream - and just print off 8x10's: frame and hang.
    That would be cool.
    If you don't have a high-end printer you can take your photos on mem. card to Walmart and have 8x10's done for not too much $$.

Art can be cheap and awesome! Just some time.

(I'm a total DIY NUT - so my ideas are endless)

Or - going with the Modern/contemporary idea you can paint a stripe of color around your room - up at the ceiling (maybe a 2" wide stripe) or mid-way up the wall. something like that...around the doorframe and near the floor, even.

and - a super messy idea - is to do a textured wall with mud (Home depot - a big 50lb box is maybe $8.00 ...) and you can scrape it onto your entire with a spatula and other items to get it to ripple, drag and scallop - with a pattern or without a pattern.
    We did this in our livingroom and hallway and LOVE it - we even did it on the ceiling. Then you just paint overtop with one or two different colors when it dries (2 days, maybe)

You're making me anxious to work in my bedroom!

All this being said - if I were you I'd definately do the art. In fact, I'd go Buddhist-natural and take photos of things around town (trees, rocks, water, the sky at night) - print, frame and hang.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Sponge View Post
    How about something that's so-so nautical. Kabana club or seaside beach, maybe? The tropics and hawaii.
    You could completely do a Modern-comtemporary with some nice, large pieces of solid art: bold shapes with black, grey and shades of taupe.
    Or you could tone it down and go for something that's like a Buddhist sactuary type of thing - wrapped with nature (wood, shell, stone) in neutrals. Maybe a water-fountain.

Maybe you could consider making doors for your entertainment center - so you can hang pictures on it to compliment whatever changing themes you have in the future. Just get some nice cuts of wood - cut it to the size of the opening where your DVD's are, get some hinges and a push-pop latch...Paint it, hinge it and screw the latch in place. Voila. - That'll really give you a blank canvas to work with. All those colors of the DVD's really can ruin whatever look you want.

(so are the words of wisdom from teh woman who's knee high in clutter) LOL
    Hypocrisy runs amuck!!
    I like the idea of the doors but....um thats cheap furniture from WalMart lol it cost $60 so making doors...I'd rather buy a nice center 1st ya know

Oh a few things I should of mentioned we will be moving to housing in Maine this summer and um there is linoleum floors so walls and floor will be white

I prefer a lot of simple, low hassle things. The Persian inspired bedroom is the most complicated design style I have ever done/attempted.
  8. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Gotcha

If you like simple but nice then totally do some of your own photos for the walls. Cheap frames are just a few $ at Walmart and, heck, you might actually be able to find some cool and cheap prints at Walmart or Hobby Lobby, something like that.

Hmm - if the linoleum in your new place is in good shape you can buy peel-and-stick tiles and just put them overtop - *might* be worth looking into (cost might be an issue - maybe it'll be $150.00 - $250.00 for a so-so sized room)...because you buy, peel, stick, and then you can use it right when you're done so it's convenient and the quickest way to make a floor color-change.

Maybe look into something like a resale or consignment store for an entertainment center - or even an online ad with a freecycle group or craigslist. My sister lives by these types of places - people get rid of some very nice and high quality stuff sometimes.
  9. Senior Member
    I was thinking of taking pics of cathedrials and older buildings from a lying down type angle, blowing them up and printing them out in Black and White lol
    or using Old Recruitment posters....I have a couple of them from WW1 and 2
  10. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Hey - the cathedral idea would so soooo cool! do that (I love all that kind a shtuff)

The posters might be cool, too, you can go for a patriotic/old style look.