Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I did a search for 'ants'

1. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries

I did a search for 'ants'

Advertisements
    And found lots of tips... I'm not sure which to try first. I've come across baby powder, chalk, and cornmeal. Have any of you tried these and found out if it works or not?

Our kitchen sink area and dishwasher are an ant haven. I have tried peppermint oil, and that only works briefly. I have tried the ant baits that supposedly kill the whole colony (not happy about my karma there, but I was frustrated) and they completely ignore it, and still go for the sink and the dishwasher. Dh sprayed around the base of the house, and filled all the holes... no difference.

I keep the counters clean, rarely leave dishes in the sink, and run the dishwasher every day. It's gotten to the point where they go in there even when the dishes are clean, so now I have to stand by ready to unload if I want the dishes to stay ant free.

I also bought an air tight dog food container, and that has stopped them from invading that, but now I need to fix the rest of the kitchen.

So tell me what worked for you please, if you have experience with them.

My last resort is to call an exterminator, but I really don't want to. I hate the idea of trying so hard to live an organic lifestyle, and then PAY someone to come ruin it for me. It made me queasy just to have dh spray that one time on the outside.
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Leaving a small container of ground cinnamon out, seemed to work when we experienced an ant problem in Hawaii.
  3. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    Do you know where they are coming in? Try Salt. Sounds weird - but I had ants when I lived in Georgia and I put salt along the path they were walking and they never came back.

My little Loves!
  4. Senior Member
    The only thing I found that worked with ants was Bengal spray. It's more like a fog, so it doesn't make your counters or baseboards all icky feeling. I sprayed along every single baseboard and window. I had ants everywhere before spraying that stuff! It was horrible! After that...no ants. It's not cheap, but it's well worth it. It's around $17 a can give or take.
  5. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    More good ideas - thanks ladies! I need as many weapons as possible in my anti-ant arsenal!

The are coming out of the light switch, down the wall, and then they travel along the cabinets right underneath the counter edge to dishwasher mostly, and sometimes to the sink.

This has been making things problematic, since they aren't using any horizontal surfaces where I can put stuff out. They used to come across the counters, but they got wise to the peppermint oil, windex, etc., and changed routes.

They drive me friggin' nuts!
    Last edited by Kristen; 03-27-2008 at 01:12 PM. Reason: My typos are getting outrageous.
  6. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    we had the same problem even with a very clean kitchen. we had our apartment complex spray. i don't think it was an "organic" spray but it was eco-friendly enough that it was ok for our cat to be around.
  7. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbecker View Post
    we had the same problem even with a very clean kitchen. we had our apartment complex spray. i don't think it was an "organic" spray but it was eco-friendly enough that it was ok for our cat to be around.
    I am glad to know I am not the only one! One day, I scrubbed the kitchen clean, I mean scrubbed. It was already what I consider to be a 'clean kitchen' but the ant thing was making me neurotic. Then I didn't cook or eat in there for a couple of days as an experiment. No dishes, no food, no nothing. And the ant's just kept coming!
  8. Senior Member
    Try Grits... Buy a box of grits and put some around the area that you see them... They will pick it up take t back to the colony and feed it to the "queen" and she will bust open and die!!!
    Mrs. Villanueva
    [/CENTER]
  9. I talk alot, it just never comes out of my mouth
    I talk alot, it just never comes out of my mouth
    I am a regional service manger for Terminix. I have lots of knowledge of pests

First thing you got to know is what kind of ant it is, this will help determine where they are coming from.

Most likely, unless they are the great big black ants which are carpenter ants, they are the common house ant and they are coming from a colony from the outside of the house.

You need to find that in order to actually stop them from coming in. There are alot of "green" products out that you can use to drown the colony. Once that is gone, they ants coming into your house should subside greatly.

If you can't find where the actual trail is that is coming in your home you should "pre bait" meaning lay out small spots of jelly in areas directly around the exterior of the closest wall of where they are on the inside. Then check that area about 3 hours later. If the colony is around that area you will see a trail from your bait to the colony. Then kill that colony.

Most likely you will find them coming up behind your siding and then making their way inside. Ants do not "live" inside thay just maintain a cycle to collect food and go back to their colony.

Because the population of an ant colony is so great, unless the colony outside is killed you will not be able to fully get rid of the ants by treating just the inside.

I hope that helps some. Everything i just described to you is what we do for our customers homes. It works i promise!

10. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnAopps View Post
    I am a regional service manger for Terminix. I have lots of knowledge of pests

First thing you got to know is what kind of ant it is, this will help determine where they are coming from.

Most likely, unless they are the great big black ants which are carpenter ants, they are the common house ant and they are coming from a colony from the outside of the house.

You need to find that in order to actually stop them from coming in. There are alot of "green" products out that you can use to drown the colony. Once that is gone, they ants coming into your house should subside greatly.

If you can't find where the actual trail is that is coming in your home you should "pre bait" meaning lay out small spots of jelly in areas directly around the exterior of the closest wall of where they are on the inside. Then check that area about 3 hours later. If the colony is around that area you will see a trail from your bait to the colony. Then kill that colony.

Most likely you will find them coming up behind your siding and then making their way inside. Ants do not "live" inside thay just maintain a cycle to collect food and go back to their colony.

Because the population of an ant colony is so great, unless the colony outside is killed you will not be able to fully get rid of the ants by treating just the inside.

I hope that helps some. Everything i just described to you is what we do for our customers homes. It works i promise!

This is awesome info! My aunt kept telling me that they lived in the wall, and I didn't think that sounded right. I couldn't find the colony when I looked, but this prebaiting thing... fantastic!

You rock!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast