Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decks

1. Cookie Queen
    Cookie Queen

Decks

Advertisements
    Have you installed a deck, or had one installed? I'm trying to figure out how much work installing one would be, or if it would just be easier to hire someone. We have a pretty big space where it's going...let me find a picture...

The deck will cover that whole area and then curve out forming a circle after the end of the house coming to just in front of that far stump. That's the area we're going to put the fire pit/conversation area. (fyi, both of those stumps are gone, they were grinded out after I took those pictures)
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    our house has one but it came with it (we rent)...Its nice it has a built in bench seating around it...It will be getting torn down and rebuilt this spring by my landlord! You should see what lowes or home depot says...I would love to do something like that myself but dh and i would kill each other LOL
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  3. Senior Member
    We had someone install ours only because we wanted it done to code and done professionally since we knew we would be moving.
    Missing someone gets easier everyday because even though you are one day further from the last time you saw them, you are one day closer to the next time you will.
  4. Cookie Queen
    Cookie Queen
    Code? What does that entail?
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    there are regulations for things to be built, plus permits.
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  6. Cookie Queen
    Cookie Queen
    Right, I was just wondering what kind of things are looked at for maintaining code in a deck. For instance I know with concrete it has to be sloped away from the house for drainage purposes...
  7. Senior Member
    Yes, you have to get a permit from your city to build one. My best friend built one last summer and now after the fact wishes they would have had someone professionally install theirs. Her husband thinks he is mr. fix-it but he's not so that was part of the problem. It's a lot of work especially if it's going to be a big one with a lot of detail. I would hire someone to do it.
  8. Senior Member
    I just talked to my friend and she said that all she needed was a permit from the city and then after you dig the posts they come out and inspect. Also she said that you have to have a certain number of posts based on the size. That's all she remembered. I hope this helps.
  9. Cookie Queen
    Cookie Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura48 View Post
    Yes, you have to get a permit from your city to build one.
  10. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    Ours came with the house and we are planing on rebuilding it and expanding. We are planing on working on it our self with the help of our neighbor who works building things like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast