Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: need some advice

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

need some advice

Advertisements
    Hello,
    So my DH is active duty navy and he got picked up for officer recently.Yay!!! He will be gone for OCS this summer but I do not know where we will be after that. Our current lease is up at the end of this month (we live in a bad area and looking for safer place to live/closer to my job). We will be moving into a rental home (if I can find one); I guess my question is has anyone broken their lease due to PCS orders? and if so, how was your experience with that process? Also, if my husband may not be living in the new rental home at all, how far is too far to commute/live from his current duty station? Traffic here is awful but I would prefer to live in a safer neighborhood which is further away. If anyone has any other suggestions or been in limbo like this before I am all ears. The stress of not knowing whats next or having a game plan is getting to me.
  2. Regular Member
    I can only answer one of the questions because it's all I have experience with. How far is too far to commute? DH drives about 30-1hr each way all depending on traffic. He doesn't mind because that's his "alone" time before coming home and being bombarded with family life and a crazy dog. But every person is different. And the traffic and stress can take it's toll on a person and a vehicle.
  3. Senior Member
    I've never had to break a lease due to the military, since my situation is a little different than most, but I do know that almost every apartment we have lived at does have a military clause that you can get out of your lease due to military orders. I'd go talk to the office staff, im sure they can tell you what verification they need and how to move forward with getting out of the lease.
  4. Senior Member
    We have broken a lease and will be on this house once we have orders to move to base. With being in the norfolk area you might be able to find something more like a 6 month lease or a month to month. Check out other Facebook pages for that kind of stuff.
  5. Senior Member
    The only issue with breaking the lease may be if you are moving into this new place when your husband already has orders to OCS.
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    He will have orders to OCS soon although we know the date he is leaving unofficially but we had told our current property manager that we would be moving out. (This was before he got picked up for OCS) The property manager already has tenants lined up to move in after our lease. So could him having his orders be a problem for the new place we move into? Would it be better to move into an established apartment community?
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Will do. Thanks. So many of the leases for houses here are standard 1 year.
  8. Senior Member
    Is there a placement officer or anything for your spouse to talk with? OCS is what 10 weeks (i could be a little off) but the orders could be written differently since he has a family and that it would be more TDY orders for him and not PCS orders for you. This is just a thought....I am not to sure how it really works.