Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Need Advice

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Need Advice

Advertisements
    My boyfriend and I have been together for 3+ years and he has asked me to move to California with him. I've always told him that I loved California and wanted to live there, so he thought since he is stationed at Port Hueneme it would be a great idea. He's an active Navy member. Right now, he's stationed in Japan, but as soon as he return he will be back in California. Me on the other hand, lives in South Carolina and being that I just finish college to be a nail technician. We have decided to live off-base because we're not married yet, but anyways we found a place near his job. My question is being that I don't have an income, how will I be able to live with him or how will we be able to apply for an apartment together?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Most apartments I know of require everyone 18+ who will be living there to be named on the application. Sometimes for a credit check, sometimes not. You could always just not be listed but that may come with some sort of repercussions. Since he won't be married is he going to be the right rank to live off base?
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Yes, he's an E-4
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by LexusG View Post
    Yes, he's an E-4
    E-4 over 4 years? Otherwise it should be E-5 unless barracks are full upon arrival. I only bring it up because there's no use preparing and stressing over a move that wont be possible.
  5. Senior Member
    Yes, first he needs to make sure he qualifies to live off base as a single person.

Assuming he does, I'm not really sure what you are asking. If you have no income and are willing to leave your safety net and support system and rely on him financially 100%, and if he's okay with that, then that's between the two of you.

Many places will allow you to qualify based on one income. Not all spouses work, and there are plenty of couples where one spouse works and the other stays at home. Although you won't be married, your situation isn't that much different, and I'm sure many apartments will allow him to qualify on his income alone, but still let you live there. Just ask up front, so you can move on if a place won't.

You won't be covered under the SCRA if you are on the lease and aren't married, so when he PCSes, they aren't legally required to let you out of the lease. Keep that in mind.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    I agree that most places will require every adult living there to be on the lease, even if his income alone qualifies. And that can put you in tough situation if he deploys or PCSes because you will still be responsible for the lease. There is a lot more security that goes with being married when it comes to this stuff. I'm not saying moving is bad idea, I would jut hit the ground running and find good employment. Welcome!
  7. Regular Member
    If he's eligible to live off-base, and you want to make this move, I would suggest reaching out to nail salons in the area BEFORE moving. Get work lined up.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Like everyone has already stated, he needs to verify he can live out in town. But I also want to emphasize that you make sure you can support yourself (pay rent, utilities, other bills, etc) and even move back to where you currently are or from before you move. I know you don't want to think you'll need to but it will protect you. Also, not sure if things have changed but when I went to school for nail tech we had to get licensed in order to work. And in the state I was in, there was only 1 place to do that. So I'd look into that before moving, too. Also, even if you don't have a job you'd need to be on the lease. For my husband and I (we're landlords) we have everyone 18+ on the lease. For cases where the people are not married, each has to pay an application fee. And each one gets their own background check. Now I recongnize for an apartment it may vary on the application fee and background check but would be ready for those just in case.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I think it really depends on the apt complex. My situation is slightly different given he's army and he moved here first before I joined him. But I moved in with my boyfriend a little less than a month ago and didn't have to be put on the lease. I will admit it's much harder to move as a girlfriend than you'd think. And I HIGHLY suggest looking for work before moving down there. I have had a miserable time finding a job and you have to prepare to be alone a lot of the time during the day if you come before getting employment. A big issue I've been having is that the location I'm at has a high Spanish population and being bilingual is required for a large majority of jobs. I'm sure cali doesn't have the same problem but I would still research the job market first because I def wish I had been more informed before hand.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    Most apartments I know of require everyone 18+ who will be living there to be named on the application. Sometimes for a credit check, sometimes not. You could always just not be listed but that may come with some sort of repercussions. Since he won't be married is he going to be the right rank to live off base?
    I would NOT do that. It states in most leases that you are not allowed to move anyone in and if you do it counts as breaking the lease and you may be forced to move. You living there while not on the lease would count as that. I don't see that there would be any problem with you being on the lease. When my husband and I moved here I was unemployed and had no credit, I was still listed on the lease. His income and credit were enough to get us the house, but they did do a background check on both of us. Contact the landlord and see what you'll need, some of the houses we looked at needed proof that monthly rent would be a third or less of monthly income.

Since you said you're a nail tech I would start looking online for nail salons that you could possibly work at. I'd spend your time putting together a portfolio if you don't already have one.