Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Home decor tips and organizing!

  1. Regular Member
    Tessab00's Avatar
    Tessab00 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    49
    #1

    Home decor tips and organizing!

    Advertisements
    My DH and I have a small apartment, we've lived in it for over a year and i haven't decorated at all..

    We have 5 more months in it until he goes to bootcamp at which point I'm moving back in with my parents.

    But I'd love to get it a little more organized and decorate it a little before i move. I'm so tired of the pain walls!

    And ideas for easy decor? We can't paint, and can't put large holes in the wall, which is part of the reason i haven't really decorated.

    Tia!
  2. Wine-o
    brahette's Avatar
    brahette is offline
    Wine-o
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    2,792
    #2
    If you don't want to put nails in the walls for pictures, you can use those Command strip hooks etc. Super easy to install and they hold up pretty well plus no damage to the walls!
    ~Becca~


  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Wild*Rose's Avatar
    Wild*Rose is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    5,428


    #3
    Honestly moving so soon I probably wouldn't do/buy much. Are you going to have a place to store stuff at your mom's? In our apartment I decorated mainly with wall art and table centerpieces etc. When we move in April I do plan on painting a little since we will be there for years.
  4. Senior Member
    Sabrina22LE's Avatar
    Sabrina22LE is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,394
    #4
    Definitely use command hooks. I'm a painter and DH hangs up everything I make, so we've needed a ton.
    I use a lot of candles and lights to decorate. I bought cute tea light holders that look like logs from a birch tree and have several of them around the house. I strung Christmas lights in the spare room to make a cozy area to read.

    A pretty dish for keys on the entry table

    I also have three large houseplants that are super easy to care for. I water them *maybe* once a week and they really liven the house up. I'm planning to get more(the commissary here has super cheap plants), but I worry about how I'm going to move them to our next duty station. I also keep live herbs in the kitchen windowsill.

    You can buy throw pillows for super cheap at Walmart. I love World Market and when the throw pillows go on clearance they're a pretty good deal. I also pot a hang a little throw blanket on the corner or the back of the couch to add some color to the living room.

    I would shop around at craft stores like Michael's. They usually have pretty frequent sales on home decor. I bought Christmas ornaments about a week before Christmas and only paid a few dollars for normally pricey ornaments.
  5. Regular Member
    Tessab00's Avatar
    Tessab00 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    49
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    If you don't want to put nails in the walls for pictures, you can use those Command strip hooks etc. Super easy to install and they hold up pretty well plus no damage to the walls!
    That's a good idea! Thanks!
  6. Regular Member
    Tessab00's Avatar
    Tessab00 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    49
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild*Rose View Post
    Honestly moving so soon I probably wouldn't do/buy much. Are you going to have a place to store stuff at your mom's? In our apartment I decorated mainly with wall art and table centerpieces etc. When we move in April I do plan on painting a little since we will be there for years.
    We're gonna get a storage unit. But my parents converted their garage into a "suite" so it's a pretty decent size. But the stuff that won't fit, we're going to put in a small storage unit. Wall art is a good idea, cause i can move it with me and hang it back up! Thank you!
  7. Regular Member
    Tessab00's Avatar
    Tessab00 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    49
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    Definitely use command hooks. I'm a painter and DH hangs up everything I make, so we've needed a ton.
    I use a lot of candles and lights to decorate. I bought cute tea light holders that look like logs from a birch tree and have several of them around the house. I strung Christmas lights in the spare room to make a cozy area to read.

    A pretty dish for keys on the entry table

    I also have three large houseplants that are super easy to care for. I water them *maybe* once a week and they really liven the house up. I'm planning to get more(the commissary here has super cheap plants), but I worry about how I'm going to move them to our next duty station. I also keep live herbs in the kitchen windowsill.

    You can buy throw pillows for super cheap at Walmart. I love World Market and when the throw pillows go on clearance they're a pretty good deal. I also pot a hang a little throw blanket on the corner or the back of the couch to add some color to the living room.

    I would shop around at craft stores like Michael's. They usually have pretty frequent sales on home decor. I bought Christmas ornaments about a week before Christmas and only paid a few dollars for normally pricey ornaments.
    This is extremely helpful! Thank you!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •