Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I live in a fish bowl.

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by jendelion View Post
    I live on post (because we have to ) and also in a REALLLLLY tiny town and there are still so many things to do outside. It blows my mind how many people just sit on post. You have to get out! Don't shop at the commissary every time, find hobbies to do outside of post, take your dogs to the park, etc...

You're new so you probably don't know everything the town has to offer yet. After two years of living here I still keep finding cool new hiking trails, friends, restaurants and activities.

PS I am going to start referring to our post as a fishbowl now.
    I took the dogs to the dog park while we were living in the hotel, but that was still on post, not very adventurous I am going off post today to Publix, which is some kind of grocery store that everyone keeps talking about so I'm gonna see what the fuss is about. I never really sat around much in Germany, but it seemed like endless possibilities there. (well, and we lived off post. government housing, but still off post) Whether right or wrong, I feel like what the heck is there to do in the middle of Georgia/Alabama.

We've been here two weeks today, and we get our stuff tomorrow so once we're settled I can explore some more.

2. Senior Member
    I have lived on post in some pretty small towns and I can relate, but I'm kind of the opposite type person that I will talk to anyone. I have been accused of being a blabber mouth.

I think you really just need to be yourself. If you are not the person that is always on and friendly that's ok. Not everyone is that way and that doesn't mean you are rude or mean. That's who you are!
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    I took the dogs to the dog park while we were living in the hotel, but that was still on post, not very adventurous I am going off post today to Publix, which is some kind of grocery store that everyone keeps talking about so I'm gonna see what the fuss is about. I never really sat around much in Germany, but it seemed like endless possibilities there. (well, and we lived off post. government housing, but still off post) Whether right or wrong, I feel like what the heck is there to do in the middle of Georgia/Alabama.

We've been here two weeks today, and we get our stuff tomorrow so once we're settled I can explore some more.
    !!!!!!!!! PUBLIX IS THE BEST!

Every time I've ever left Florida, publix is what I miss the most.
  4. Senior Member
    Growing up with publix, I always thought it was just a grocery store. Not so. Every other grocery store I've been in (besides trader joes, whole foods, and some trader joes knockoff I found in Vermont) has been a wreck. They have excellent customer service, everything is well organized and clean and well lit, their generics are better than the real brands, omg. Try their sour cream seriously.
  5. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Growing up with publix, I always thought it was just a grocery store. Not so. Every other grocery store I've been in (besides trader joes, whole foods, and some trader joes knockoff I found in Vermont) has been a wreck. They have excellent customer service, everything is well organized and clean and well lit, their generics are better than the real brands, omg. Try their sour cream seriously.
    Does Publix deliver to APO?

life's a party, rock your body
  6. Senior Member
    Maybe. This town is so small compared to SA.

the closest store that isn't the ghetto is like a 20 minute drive from the gate.

But, even if I shopped off post, just doing regular things I feel like I'm running into people. I work on post at the education center, which definitely doesn't help the fishbowl feeling. It's just a huge adjustment to go from a giant metropolitan city to... this. Even the "city" outside of the post feels tiny.
    also I don't *want* to be the person that purposefully avoids everyone. I'd love to be that bizarre nice housewife who greets everyone with a smile and a southern "oh my gosh, how are you darlin'??!" but that's so just not me I don't want rumors going around that I'm mean or rude, and I want the younger girls to feel like they can come and talk to me or ask questions bc I've been there done that. Yesterday at the "spouse social", against my better judgement, I gave my number to a girl who got married like, two weeks ago, and her husband just joined. Told her if she ever has questions or wants to talk she can call me. But even doing that was .. a huge step. DH was impressed with me. I'm just a weird antisocial nut. I guess I need advice on how not to be like that
    I think the fact that you work on base isn't going to help your situation You're going to be exposed to a ton of people who you'll probably be running into when you out and about on base. But as PPs mentioned, you really don't have to get into a full blown conversation with them. A kind smile and a quick hello will suffice.

I'm not active in spouse groups or base events --most of my friends I met at work or school-- so the people I usually bump into when I'm at the commy are DH's co-workers and their families. For me, since I never got involved in the military community, I guess I pretty much fly under the radar. If being involved makes you uncomfortable then you really don't *have* to be (unless you want to). People really won't care.

The first base I lived at was in the middle of nowhere (1 hour from the closest mall which was in another rundown military town). We really had to search for a lot of things to do and sometimes that meant hours of driving to get to places. I didn't mind because it was better than being around the base. You just need to get out and start exploring.

7. Moderator

You don't have to be on all the time. I'm a friendly person, but don't stop and chat with everyone I know at the commissary. Just a simple smile and hi is enough.

Also, enjoy Publix! I totally shop there more than the commissary. It's the best grocery store ever.

I know everyone is saying get out and explore, but we are having an extremely hot summer in Georgia. It's understandable if you want to stay in the AC. . I love heat and humidity and it's even a bit for me right now!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    You don't have to be on all the time. I'm a friendly person, but don't stop and chat with everyone I know at the commissary. Just a simple smile and hi is enough.

Also, enjoy Publix! I totally shop there more than the commissary. It's the best grocery store ever.

I know everyone is saying get out and explore, but we are having an extremely hot summer in Georgia. It's understandable if you want to stay in the AC. . I love heat and humidity and it's even a bit for me right now!
    Ok yes. I thought I was going nuts, it's hotter here than in Texas!

9. Moderator

Ok yes. I thought I was going nuts, it's hotter here than in Texas!
    Def not nuts! . This is a wet, humid, suffocating heat too!
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jendelion View Post
    I live on post (because we have to ) and also in a REALLLLLY tiny town and there are still so many things to do outside. It blows my mind how many people just sit on post. You have to get out! Don't shop at the commissary every time, find hobbies to do outside of post, take your dogs to the park, etc...

You're new so you probably don't know everything the town has to offer yet. After two years of living here I still keep finding cool new hiking trails, friends, restaurants and activities.

PS I am going to start referring to our post as a fishbowl now.
    Your in Germany. Shouldn't it be something like hohenfishbowlwengen?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast