Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: House Hunting

  1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    KrazyKatLady.'s Avatar
    KrazyKatLady. is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    3,090

    #1

    House Hunting

    Advertisements
    DF and I are taking the plunge! Well we're at least looking further into it!

    We just got the go ahead from a loan officer this evening so I'm calling a realtor in the morning to see what we can set up. We've found some places online that we want to go see in person. (Zillow is the best!) Hopefully we can go look this week or the beginning of next week.

    I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. I'm really hoping it works out because the rental options in our area just aren't that great.

    Any advice or tips you might have are welcome! (We'll be using DF's VA loan)



  2. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    germy's Avatar
    germy is offline
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    3,865

    #2



    I love daydreaming looking at Zillow.

    <3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    KrazyKatLady.'s Avatar
    KrazyKatLady. is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    3,090

    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by germy View Post



    I love daydreaming looking at Zillow.
    I've been doing that for years! I can't believe I get to look for real now!



  4. Senior Member
    ArmyCupcake's Avatar
    ArmyCupcake is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,076
    #4
    Don't fall in love. You would be shocked how different what you see online can be from what it is in person. Then if you find something you love there may be something wrong with it or a bidding war, etc. I'm making it seem like a chore, but it wasn't all butterflies for Dh and me. I had a spreadsheet of the houses we saw and it was near 60 when we found our house. It took longer than expected and tested our strength, but I am so happy with how things worked out. Trust your gut.

    It is an exciting time. Find a realtor you trust. We fired our first one because he didn't seem to have our best interest at heart.

    Do you know the size you want? Single family vs townhouse? Sewer vs septic? Find out what your deal breakers are and go from there. Will make your search easier. Good luck.
  5. La vie boheme
    Hope's Avatar
    Hope is offline
    La vie boheme
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    29,058

    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    Don't fall in love. You would be shocked how different what you see online can be from what it is in person. Then if you find something you love there may be something wrong with it or a bidding war, etc. I'm making it seem like a chore, but it wasn't all butterflies for Dh and me. I had a spreadsheet of the houses we saw and it was near 60 when we found our house. It took longer than expected and tested our strength, but I am so happy with how things worked out. Trust your gut.

    It is an exciting time. Find a realtor you trust. We fired our first one because he didn't seem to have our best interest at heart.

    Do you know the size you want? Single family vs townhouse? Sewer vs septic? Find out what your deal breakers are and go from there. Will make your search easier. Good luck.
    Wonderful advice.

    Also, check and double check with Zillow because they get facts wrong more often than most of the other sites, IMO.

    Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
  6. Senior Member
    Amanduh's Avatar
    Amanduh is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,787
    #6
    Realtor.com was a much better site/app than Zillow when you are seriously looking. They get houses as soon as they hit MLS (or something like that..lol) and they are much more accurate than Zillow or Trulia (another one of my favorites)

    We bought in a Sellers market which sucked, we were in multiple bidding wars and because we were using a VA loan (where the seller has to pay almost all of closng costs), it really hurt us and wasn't something we were expecting. If you don't have a realtor you love yet, I would find a realtor that specializes in VA loans, they can be a beast and having a realtor that works regularly with VA loans can make the process easier. Our realtor wouldn't even take us to houses that blatantly wouldn't pass the inspection process, it was really nice, because DH and I didn't know the ends and outs of the VA loan inspections but she helped us. We found our realtor through Veteran's United Veterans United Realty: Military Friendly Real Estate Agents

    Good luck, and have fun!
  7. Senior Member
    jazzylady514's Avatar
    jazzylady514 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    302
    #7
    No advice but good luck and how exciting!

  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    KrazyKatLady.'s Avatar
    KrazyKatLady. is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    3,090

    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    Don't fall in love. You would be shocked how different what you see online can be from what it is in person. Then if you find something you love there may be something wrong with it or a bidding war, etc. I'm making it seem like a chore, but it wasn't all butterflies for Dh and me. I had a spreadsheet of the houses we saw and it was near 60 when we found our house. It took longer than expected and tested our strength, but I am so happy with how things worked out. Trust your gut.

    It is an exciting time. Find a realtor you trust. We fired our first one because he didn't seem to have our best interest at heart.

    Do you know the size you want? Single family vs townhouse? Sewer vs septic? Find out what your deal breakers are and go from there. Will make your search easier. Good luck.
    Thank you! I've watched a lot of HGTV over the years and have seen the disappointments that come. I'm not terribly picky. I know that if I really love a house it will either work out or something better will come along.

    Basically my only criteria is at least 2 full bathrooms and no pine cabinets and preferably no wood paneling! I've seen (online) a mix of condos townhouses and single family homes that we like. They all have different pros and cons. Either way is fine with me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    Wonderful advice.

    Also, check and double check with Zillow because they get facts wrong more often than most of the other sites, IMO.
    Yeah I've noticed errors on Zillow before. I feel like it's been a good starting point to see what's out there. I've been able to get an idea of how various condo neighborhoods are laid out and when and how they were built.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    Realtor.com was a much better site/app than Zillow when you are seriously looking. They get houses as soon as they hit MLS (or something like that..lol) and they are much more accurate than Zillow or Trulia (another one of my favorites)

    We bought in a Sellers market which sucked, we were in multiple bidding wars and because we were using a VA loan (where the seller has to pay almost all of closng costs), it really hurt us and wasn't something we were expecting. If you don't have a realtor you love yet, I would find a realtor that specializes in VA loans, they can be a beast and having a realtor that works regularly with VA loans can make the process easier. Our realtor wouldn't even take us to houses that blatantly wouldn't pass the inspection process, it was really nice, because DH and I didn't know the ends and outs of the VA loan inspections but she helped us. We found our realtor through Veteran's United Veterans United Realty: Military Friendly Real Estate Agents

    Good luck, and have fun!
    Thank you for the links! I'll definitely check them out! I haven't met the realtor we plan to use yet. A good trusted friend of mine works for him and she married a guy in the Air Force a couple years ago and just bought a house so she's familiar with how things are right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzylady514 View Post
    No advice but good luck and how exciting!

    Thanks!



  9. Senior Member
    ArmyCupcake's Avatar
    ArmyCupcake is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,076
    #9
    I liked Redfin when I was looking.
  10. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Jenni Penni's Avatar
    Jenni Penni is offline
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,484
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    I liked Redfin when I was looking.
    This was my favorite too. Much more information than Zillow and Realtor.

    Do you guys bank with USAA? They have a homebuyer's program that has been great. They set us up with an amazing realtor that has really gone to bat for us, though I haven't read great things about USAA as a mortgage company.

    "The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •