Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Home Remodel

1. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict

Home Remodel

Advertisements
    For my ladies (or men), who have been through a serious house remodel, how did you go about starting the process?

Did it turn out the way you wanted? Did it take longer? Any advice you'd give?

We've been thinking more and more recently about our forever home, which is my family's farm. We're expecting to come in possession of it within the next 5 years (god willing, we don't though becuase I want my great-aunt around basically forever).

The farm was built roughly around 1761. There is horsehair plaster still on the walls. A bathroom was added upstairs in 1960's.... And quite literally, that was the first thing it had done in 100 years. There are PEGS, not nails, holding many of the parts together. We have hand-hewn beams in most rooms of the house.

We're looking at a massive gut to fix the plumbing and wiring and then remodel to get it looking good again and
    I'm clueless as to where to even start to plan for this, if that makes sense.
  2. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Get a home inspection done and see what the inspector thinks. If things are structurally sound, you may not need/want to replace them. If it were me, I would start with the kitchen remodel first since the kitchen is typically the most expensive room to remodel.
  3. Senior Member
    We just had wood floors installed, a wall torn down, our kitchen tile replaced, some cabinets removed and replaced, and new countertops put in. Nothing crazy like your setup but it was major for us. My biggest advice would be to make sure everything is structurally sound, and then live in it. Live in it for 6ish months to find out WHAT you want to change. If we had tackled our kitchen remodel right away, we wouldn't have ended up with what we have now. By living with it for a bit and realizing what works and what doesn't, you'll have a bit more time to save and make sure you're changing things in the best possible way.
  4. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    Get a home inspection done and see what the inspector thinks. If things are structurally sound, you may not need/want to replace them. If it were me, I would start with the kitchen remodel first since the kitchen is typically the most expensive room to remodel.
    Thanks! I wouldn't have ever thought to get a home inspection done. I can't even tell when the last inspection was, if there ever was one!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    We just had wood floors installed, a wall torn down, our kitchen tile replaced, some cabinets removed and replaced, and new countertops put in. Nothing crazy like your setup but it was major for us. My biggest advice would be to make sure everything is structurally sound, and then live in it. Live in it for 6ish months to find out WHAT you want to change. If we had tackled our kitchen remodel right away, we wouldn't have ended up with what we have now. By living with it for a bit and realizing what works and what doesn't, you'll have a bit more time to save and make sure you're changing things in the best possible way.
    Thanks! This is actually the house that I spent most of my time growing up in, so I'm more aware than if we'd bought the house but there are some things that I want a better picture of living there as an adult before we tear into the house.

Luckily, other than the porches, the house is structurally sound as far as we know. Granted, once we start pulling down plaster that may change!
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I would start in the areas that you need remodeled the most in order to live in the house. Usually those tend to be kitchen, bathrooms, windows, roof, etc. Things like that. After you get those done, focus on cosmetics-paint a bedroom the color you want, refinish hardwood floors, replace light fixtures, etc. Those type of things. And yes, have an inspection done. You would have this done if you were buying a house so it is a good idea o have it done on a house you're goin to inherit and be responsible for.