Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: House hunting

1. Senior Member

House hunting

Advertisements
    DH and I are in the rental house in a month to month lease in an area we pretty much hate. But being month to month gives us the time to properly search for a house to buy that we love, good area, etc etc etc... We just started yesterday. How do you not get overwhelmed in this process?!?!! I didn't sleep last night because so much is going through my head. The first thing we decided was on a price range, which is great but in a place like San Antonio there are so many options. And you go and see a house, you might love one part but hate another. Or it's the perfect house in the worst area. Or it's too pricey for the sq. footage or. or. or. ahhhhhhh. It's stressing me out and its been a day

We've settled on a few key things we want in a house, and we both know this is a starter home and not our dream home. (Our dream home will be on a giant piece of land and built from the bottom up exactly how we want when he retires). So how do I go about all of this? Is it better to get a realtor? I don't want someone who's just going to try to sell to us at the top of our budget. I'm just a very anxious person, and while DH is cool and collected, I'm all over the place I guess I'm looking for advice on the best way to go about hunting for our first house.

2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Have you already been preapproved through your bank? That's the first thing we did, so we'd know exactly what we could afford, etc.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    DH and I are in the rental house in a month to month lease in an area we pretty much hate. But being month to month gives us the time to properly search for a house to buy that we love, good area, etc etc etc... We just started yesterday. How do you not get overwhelmed in this process?!?!! I didn't sleep last night because so much is going through my head. The first thing we decided was on a price range, which is great but in a place like San Antonio there are so many options. And you go and see a house, you might love one part but hate another. Or it's the perfect house in the worst area. Or it's too pricey for the sq. footage or. or. or. ahhhhhhh. It's stressing me out and its been a day

We've settled on a few key things we want in a house, and we both know this is a starter home and not our dream home. (Our dream home will be on a giant piece of land and built from the bottom up exactly how we want when he retires). So how do I go about all of this? Is it better to get a realtor? I don't want someone who's just going to try to sell to us at the top of our budget. I'm just a very anxious person, and while DH is cool and collected, I'm all over the place I guess I'm looking for advice on the best way to go about hunting for our first house.
    Do you plan on staying in the area for awhile? We decided against buying at our current location because we don't plan to be here more than 5 years and there are just SO many houses for sale in the area which doesn't bode well for us selling in a few years.

The things we were looking at: school district for re-sell purposes, amount of water needed to maintain lawn/landscaping, HOA fees. Then of course all of the 'normal' things.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  4. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Didn't you guys just move there? Maybe you should give it 6 months to a year before you decide you absolutely hate it....

But if I was to start looking for a house, the bank would be my first stop.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Have you already been preapproved through your bank? That's the first thing we did, so we'd know exactly what we could afford, etc.
    we applied for preapproval yesterday. We previously applied before we moved here for a lower amount when we were looking at a piece of land I think I mentioned in a post a while back. Yesterday we contacted the bank to see about moving up the preapproval amount to what we can afford for an actual house. USAA is pretty quick so we should find out here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Do you plan on staying in the area for awhile? We decided against buying at our current location because we don't plan to be here more than 5 years and there are just SO many houses for sale in the area which doesn't bode well for us selling in a few years.

The things we were looking at: school district for re-sell purposes, amount of water needed to maintain lawn/landscaping, HOA fees. Then of course all of the 'normal' things.
    San Antonio is where we want to live when he retires. We'll be here minimum two years, more if it goes according to plan. The area we're looking at is one that's really being built up, so that in 2 years if we did have to sell or rent (barring some housing crash or something) we shouldn't have a problem.

The schools where we're looking are awesome, 9/10 for elementary and middle, an 8 for the high school. We did look into HOA fees but didn't even think about landscaping.

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    Didn't you guys just move there? Maybe you should give it 6 months to a year before you decide you absolutely hate it....

But if I was to start looking for a house, the bank would be my first stop.
    We're from San Antonio. It's not like this is a new area for us. we moved in quick because we needed something, and purposefully signed a month to month because we knew we didn't want to stay.

ETA: I'm gonna go ahead and say this now, I'm not asking for advice about whether or not we should stay in the current house. I'm asking about what's the best way to hunt for houses to purchase. That's it. Before this turns into a ridiculous shit storm of opinions I didn't ask for.
    Last edited by bdizzle; 08-25-2014 at 01:01 PM.

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think it is very possible to move in to a home and know right off that you hate it and want to leave. I knew in the first week that I hated the place we were staying before we bought.

Do remember all of the other things that factor into your monthly payments. Property taxes and insurance (if you will be paying monthly into an escrow)

I, personally, prefer to use a realtor. If you can find one you trust is trying to help you find what you want verses what you will settle on, it is very helpful.
  8. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    We're from San Antonio. It's not like this is a new area for us. we moved in quick because we needed something, and purposefully signed a month to month because we knew we didn't want to stay.

ETA: I'm gonna go ahead and say this now, I'm not asking for advice about whether or not we should stay in the current house. I'm asking about what's the best way to hunt for houses to purchase. That's it. Before this turns into a ridiculous shit storm of opinions I didn't ask for.

life's a party, rock your body
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Find an agent who knows the area you want to buy and knows VA loan requirements if that is what you are using.

Decide what your max budget and overall break even is. If you sell in 2 years will you recoup or eat the costs of selling? Decide if this an investment or just an alternative to renting? Either is fine, knowing will just allow you to see keep the other decisions in line with your goal.

For us making money was number one. We would only accept a deal. Then it had to be in budget. For us that was no more than we would pay in rent since we knew maintenance and repairs would bump our overall cost up another $200 to $300 a month. That still puts us below bah. No deed restrictions or hoas because they are a pain imo. Then neighborhood, commute, lot size, bedrooms, baths, schools, etc.

If we were looking to break even then or list would be based more on needs, style, amount of work to be done, and ease of selling.
  10. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Something that I was told recently: Thoroughly investigate the neighborhood and find out why that house is on sale. I mean, if 50% of the houses on a street are for sale, there's probably something wrong with the area that you need to know. Or if the house has been sold and bought several times recently, there's probably an issue with it.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast