Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: House hunting

1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post

That said, you've gotten some great advice here. The spreadsheet idea is great, as is getting preapproved before looking too deeply into anything. I also agree with keeping school districts in mind for future renters, but I'd keep it as a secondary factor, not a primary one since you won't have school-aged children yourself.
    this is what I meant.. not that it shouldn't be considered at all.... but more that it doesn't need to be a primary factor.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    yeah cause that's what I said

My thread about our rental turned into a 'why did you get that' and 'that's too big for you guys' and 'oh my god did you even think about the utilities' when I never asked for anyone's opinion. It was a 'look, we have somewhere to live!' thread. Didn't feel like dealing with it. I certainly didn't call names, I didn't put it on all caps, so I think you're being a bit dramatic. But regardless.

We went and looked at some more houses today, and we got prequalified with USAA. So we're moving in the right direction.

Maybe you should look in the mirror. The majority of that thread was people telling you how pretty it was, they liked it and swooning over how much room there was. A couple people brought up the utilities. You're the one exaggerating and being dramatic so maybe you should step the fuck down with your hissy fit. You can't tell people what to post or what to give an opinion on. By posting what you did I almost think you're TRYING to start shit and stir things up. How about you be mature and just ignore the opinions you don't like.
    Last edited by BraveLilToaster; 08-26-2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: gif
  3. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    ^^^ that gif wins the internet
  4. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

With that being said talk to your bank and ask them to recommend realtors to work with. They will know who is shady and who is legit. A realtor will know how the market has been fluxuating and can tell you look, I know this house got offers for x, y and z and they rejected them all. How about we try offering W. Or this has been here for months I bet if you offer M they will jump on it.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    we applied for preapproval yesterday. We previously applied before we moved here for a lower amount when we were looking at a piece of land I think I mentioned in a post a while back. Yesterday we contacted the bank to see about moving up the preapproval amount to what we can afford for an actual house. USAA is pretty quick so we should find out here soon.

San Antonio is where we want to live when he retires. We'll be here minimum two years, more if it goes according to plan. The area we're looking at is one that's really being built up, so that in 2 years if we did have to sell or rent (barring some housing crash or something) we shouldn't have a problem.

The schools where we're looking are awesome, 9/10 for elementary and middle, an 8 for the high school. We did look into HOA fees but didn't even think about landscaping.
    Ways to make looking for your first house easier and less stressful:
    1) Accept that if you have to sell in two years, you WILL lose money. Period. There will be the 8-10% cost of selling, plus the 10-15% you put into the house in the two years, including maintenance and upgrades, none of which you will recoup.
    2) Accept that there will be a lot of things about the house you hate. Its a learning curve. The more houses you buy and live in, the more you realize what the little problems are and what your priorities are.
    3) Accept that you will probably over pay for a house you think you love. That is fine. It is your first house.
    4) Do not think of it as the home you will retire too. Or move back to. Over the years your tastes and priorities and needs will change.
    5) If your Realtor(r) keeps insisting on showing you homes at or above the price you want, dump her and get a new one.
    6) Use Zillow and the county tax records to look at the history of the home as well.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234