Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: House hunting

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    I'm asking about what's the best way to hunt for houses to purchase.
    Decide on your long range goals. If you plan to sell in 2 years, you need to find a house that you won't lose $ on when you sell, which is not always easy. You need to consider all the fees that are involved in selling. If those fees end up being (pick a number) 10% of the selling price, the house needs to appreciate 5% a year in order to break even. If you plan to move in 2 years and rent, you need a place where you can get the rent to cover the mortgage plus all the other stuff. Don't underestimate the "other stuff". And, eventually, you will want to sell it, and at that point you will need the $ for paint and carpet and landscaping and all those other things you will need to do to get the house ready to sell. Plus, it will probably mean the house is not being rented while all that maintenance/repair is being done all the way though being on the market and then until closing. If selling/renting in 2 years is your goal, then you need to forget about what you want in a house and concentrate on a house that will appeal to lots of people so that it will be easy to sell/rent.

And new is not always better. When we were in SA there were areas where new housing was going up and they were no more expensive than the 2-5 year old houses in the neighborhood, so people were buying new rather than a pre-owned house.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    We're from San Antonio. It's not like this is a new area for us. we moved in quick because we needed something, and purposefully signed a month to month because we knew we didn't want to stay.

ETA: I'm gonna go ahead and say this now, I'm not asking for advice about whether or not we should stay in the current house. I'm asking about what's the best way to hunt for houses to purchase. That's it. Before this turns into a ridiculous shit storm of opinions I didn't ask for.

That said, you've gotten some great advice here. The spreadsheet idea is great, as is getting preapproved before looking too deeply into anything. I also agree with keeping school districts in mind for future renters, but I'd keep it as a secondary factor, not a primary one since you won't have school-aged children yourself.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. Senior Member

What's with the picture?

Am I the only one that doesn't get it?
  4. Senior Member

Catch more bees with honey?

Is that it?

Am I a winner?
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by decks89 View Post
    Catch more bees with honey?

Is that it?

Am I a winner?
    Winner winner chicken dinner Flies rather than bees, but yes.
    ​​​

6. Senior Member

But that looks like a big ole bee in the honey!
  7. Senior Member
    I got the reference right away: "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar."

Although OP my have been a little brash, kudos to her for saying it. There's been times I've wanted to say that but I was too scared of stepping on anyone's toes.

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I got the reference right away: "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar."

Although OP my have been a little brash, kudos to her for saying it. There's been times I've wanted to say that but I was too scared of stepping on anyone's toes.
    I mean, reacting harshly to harshness is cool. And politely but firmly saying, "We've already decided to buy the house, so no advice on whether or not we should, please! I'd like this thread to just be about finding the house for us. Thank you!" is cool. But HOLY SHIT STEP OFF MY FUCKING THREAD, BITCHES before anyone says anything is a bit...vinegar-esque.
    ​​​

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I mean, reacting harshly to harshness is cool. And politely but firmly saying, "We've already decided to buy the house, so no advice on whether or not we should, please! I'd like this thread to just be about finding the house for us. Thank you!" is cool. But HOLY SHIT STEP OFF MY FUCKING THREAD, BITCHES before anyone says anything is a bit...vinegar-esque.
    haha true...

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    yeah cause that's what I said

My thread about our rental turned into a 'why did you get that' and 'that's too big for you guys' and 'oh my god did you even think about the utilities' when I never asked for anyone's opinion. It was a 'look, we have somewhere to live!' thread. Didn't feel like dealing with it. I certainly didn't call names, I didn't put it on all caps, so I think you're being a bit dramatic. But regardless.

We went and looked at some more houses today, and we got prequalified with USAA. So we're moving in the right direction.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast