Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Hawaii???

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Hawaii???

Advertisements
    My HB just got orders to Hawaii. He told me to start finding apartments. I have no idea how to start. Is there a specific website that will help me? He is navy by the way. Help please.
  2. Senior Member
    I would contact the base. Their housing office should have plenty of information for you. Good luck!
  3. Travel Junkie
    Travel Junkie
    Contacting the base is probably the first place to start. If you'd like to check off base, there are (I'd say) hundreds of googleable sites for Hawaii/Honolulu apartment/house rentals. The problem is, if you aren't familiar with the areas, and you are attracted to the lower rent, it is more than likely not a great place and not in a great location (and I am putting that very nicely).
    Even the expensive apartments near many of the bases are rented out by management companies in gross conditions. So beware.

I'd suggest seeing what you can do, in addition to information from the base, about asking people here who are familiar with the neighborhoods if you plan to live off base There were a lot of mil families in my neighborhood, but all Army; houses though. I know a lot of Navy lived in Ewa Beach in Sunrise apts. It's a nice complex. DB lived there, too.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by ToBeNavyWife View Post
    My HB just got orders to Hawaii. He told me to start finding apartments. I have no idea how to start. Is there a specific website that will help me? He is navy by the way. Help please.
    For clarity's sake by "HB" were you meaning DB or DH? If it is DB, will you be married prior to this PCS? Does he have the hard copy orders in hand? This will all play into what options are available to the two of you and what resources you will/won't be able to use in your housing search, move in general, etc.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    yep.... what is HB?
  6. Regular Member
    We are moving to HI, too. Depending on your BAH, it might be hard to find housing off base that you can afford. It also depends on if you have pets or not. There aren't a lot of rentals off base that allow more than one pet.
    From what I've been told/looked at, Ewa Beach, Waikiki, Waipahu and Mililani have rather affordable housing, but then you have to deal with some potentially long commutes to base.

Great Life Hawaii has information on various housing options, as well as lots of information about moving to Hawaii. http://www.greatlifehawaii.com/index.html

Also check our AHRN for off base rentals AHRN - The Automated Housing Referral Network
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

We are moving there this Sept and I've been creeping on Zillow to see what the houses look like and stuff.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emtuck90 View Post
    We are moving to HI, too. Depending on your BAH, it might be hard to find housing off base that you can afford. It also depends on if you have pets or not. There aren't a lot of rentals off base that allow more than one pet.
    From what I've been told/looked at, Ewa Beach, Waikiki, Waipahu and Mililani have rather affordable housing, but then you have to deal with some potentially long commutes to base.

Great Life Hawaii has information on various housing options, as well as lots of information about moving to Hawaii. http://www.greatlifehawaii.com/index.html

Also check our AHRN for off base rentals AHRN - The Automated Housing Referral Network
    The commute to Pearl from Ewa is quite long, especially if you're driving through peak rush hour traffic. We are #2 in traffic, only losing out to L.A. At minimum, without traffic and on a clear day, it's a good 20-25 minutes to Ewa from this side. It's also hotter and drier down there, so factor that into the cost of electric. Housing is affordable down there but after living there for the first year of being on island, there are other places I'd choose first.

Waipahu is nice, but, not as nice as Mililani but the commute is better than the commute from Ewa. I've never lived there though, so I can't speak to that. Mililani has been our favorite location so far; it's cooler up there, especially on the mauka side. Commute is moderate if you're heading down to Pearl. DH worked at Kunia and then NCTAMS so he was going the opposite direction of most traffic.

We just found a place that is a tiny three bedroom for $1800/mo. It's in the Moanalua area, near Tripler Army Medical Center. We love it. I didn't think that we would because it's tiny. That being said, it took us four months to find this and that was not due to lack of looking.