Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Post or Off?

1. Senior Member

On Post or Off?

Advertisements
    DB and I are talking/planning for the future. No official ring yet, but we are planning on a summer wedding and me moving to be with him . We've looked at apartments and townhomes off post, but nothing on yet. I was just hoping to get some opinions as to which y'all prefered as new wives/when your DH first joined and pros and cons for each if you've done both. He is stationed at Ft Riley, so any specific advice to that post would be amazing!
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    It is different for every person. You won't know if it is for you until you try. In Germany we loved base housing, stateside we didn't, so we haven't been in housing since.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Senior Member
    We have never lived on base, never ever given it serious consideration. There are definitely pros and cons for each. If you do a search, you'll find some good reading as this has been discussed often, and that will lay out all the things to consider.

Both are the right choices for certain people. We are off-base people.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We just got married and found a house off-post in NC. It was really never up for discussion as DH didn't want to live on post (ever) and even though I don't know what its like, it wasn't my preference.

I can see a few pros for living on base... but none weighed so heavily that we even considered it.
  5. Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure Ft Riley has similar housing to Polk, and we really like our house on post. We never expected to live on post but we chose to do so here because there aren't a ton of options in this area and the BAH is really low so we wouldn't be saving any money. We just took a house on post without looking at anything else too closely because we were able to get a two story townhouse style place with a little yard for our dog and plenty of space.

I generally prefer living off post though. If we were in a better area I wouldn't even consider living on post.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    DB and I are talking/planning for the future. No official ring yet, but we are planning on a summer wedding and me moving to be with him . We've looked at apartments and townhomes off post, but nothing on yet. I was just hoping to get some opinions as to which y'all prefered as new wives/when your DH first joined and pros and cons for each if you've done both. He is stationed at Ft Riley, so any specific advice to that post would be amazing!
    We've done both and I really didn't see any major difference between the two. To me it was just like living in any other neighborhood in that there pros and cons to each but not any that were specific to "this is base housing"
  7. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    When my husband was in the Navy we always lived off post in non military housing.
  8. Senior Member

100% off! We had to live on base here and we do not like it at all. As we were moving our kayaks today that housing told us to move we even said, Never on base again.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    For the first 11 years that DH was in, we lived off base. We lived on base from 2009-2012 in Japan. We are back off base again. We will never live on base again for as long as we can help it! We are not a fan at all of having the military so involved in our lives. By that I mean, DH never could get away. When he leaves work, we want work left there & not constantly always surrounded by the military whether that be with co-workers, wives, etc. We value having a separate life outside of the military, if that makes sense.
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  10. Senior Member
    I think it is different for everyone.

We almost decided to live on-post. I just fell in love with one of the houses they had. But with the amount of BAH we get it just didn't make sense to live on post. We were able to get a house with almost double the square feet and a huge backyard for less off-post. If DH were lower enlisted and we didn't get as much BAH then we probably would have lived on post.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast