Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On Post or Off?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    My main concern with living off post is lack of community. I have lived in the same town for 10 years and know tons of people. Moving there I will know no one. I wasn't sure if it would be easier to integrate if we live on post than off.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    My main concern with living off post is lack of community. I have lived in the same town for 10 years and know tons of people. Moving there I will know no one. I wasn't sure if it would be easier to integrate if we live on post than off.
    We've lived this life for 16 years this month & I've never had any problems being apart of the community & feeling connected when I want to be. I just prefer that I can choose when I want to be involved. If I don't want to deal with military stuff one day, I don't have to because we choose to live away from the base.
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I don't see why living off base = lack of community - you will have a community that you can be involved in no matter where you live and whether those living to your left and right are military or not.
  4. Senior Member
    Not necessarily. Since we've been here I haven't even seen any of our neighbors. Living on post doesn't automatically mean you'll make friends.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Not necessarily. Since we've been here I haven't even seen any of our neighbors. Living on post doesn't automatically mean you'll make friends.
    Excellent point - just as living of base does not = lack of community, living on base does not = guaranteed community. Honestly, even when we lived on base most of our social life was off base activities, friends (we had plenty of friends that were not military affiliated at all), etc.
  6. Senior Member
    For us living off post is the best option. The housing on post is nowhere near worth the bah that we get. We were able to rent a house with a huge backyard and on post we would have gotten an old townhouse or an even older duplex. We don't save much but we get much more space. It would be nice to save on gas but that would be the only perk for us. I have still made lots of friends. I volunteer, I'm active in my frg, and I've done some networking through Facebook groups.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12