Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Lots of questions!

  1. Senior Member
    *Palindrome*'s Avatar
    *Palindrome* is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    VA to Japanland!
    Posts
    4,528
    #1

    Help Lots of questions!

    Advertisements
    So hopefully this is in the correct forum.
    DF and I will be getting married in February sometime (not sure of an exact date yet), and I honestly don't even know where to start as far as the military paperwork goes. He said he knows I have to enroll with DEERS, is that the only thing I have to enroll with??
    Secondly how far in advance should we sign the lease to a place??
    And third how far in advance did you start applying for a job? I will be working once I move and I'm not sure how far in advance I should apply for positions? Do I wait until I'm moved and settled in or???

    Sorry this probably sounds naive but I honestly have no idea. I've never moved out of my hometown in my life so it's a new experience for me.
    Thank you!!

  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    [his] lobster's Avatar
    [his] lobster is offline
    Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8,737

    #2
    As for the military stuff, he enrolls you in DEERS and then you go with him and get your ID card. That's about it. Memorize his social security number if you plan to use on base doctors, etc...

    I'm not sure about the other stuff but I'm sure lots of people will know
  3. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,068
    #3
    Does your DF live off base already? I think if he's too low ranked to live off base without being married, you have to wait til you are married to sign a lease. Otherwise you could sign one early. I mean, lots of places will know if there will be something available and let you sign it a head of time.

    Once you're in DEERS, you get your ID card and base decals (if ya need em) and then your DH can enroll you in tricare online.

    If you're looking for entry level work I'd apply just a few weeks out. Career level jobs should be a few months out.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    be: pistachio's Avatar
    be: pistachio is offline
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Let's be honest; Okinawa is not Japan.
    Posts
    3,717

    #4
    After you are married, he will take you and your marriage certificate (you might need your passport or birth certificate?) to DEERS on base to enroll you and get you ID. Then you will go down the hall to the next adjoining building and sign up for TRICARE. That's all I did. I haven't registered my car yet, but your DF will know how to do that.... I am doing it in a few weeks.

    If there are positions you see online, I would apply in January, after you have a marriage/move date. But don't stress too much if you need to get down there before you actually find something.
  5. Senior Member
    HazeGray's Avatar
    HazeGray is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,258

    #5
    He also has to update his Page 2 (next of kin form). (not sure what it's called for the other branches...)

  6. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,068
    #6
    Oh yeah once you are married make sure you get certified copies of your license right away!!! Otherwise you might have to wait weeks for them to be mailed and you won't be able to be in DEERS that whole time.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    [his] lobster's Avatar
    [his] lobster is offline
    Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8,737

    #7
    Oh and the dental. If you want dental, you have to sign up somewhere to have a few extra dollars taken out of his pay. I forget the exact amount. It's separate from signing up for Tricare.

    ETA: Also, about Tricare just so you aren't surprised, it can take about a month to have full coverage. I *think* it's like, if you sign up before the 20th of the month, your coverage starts on the 1st of the next month (so, lets say you sign up Feb 2nd, it would start Mar 1). But if you sign up after the 20th (I think that's what it is, but someone else might know for sure), you have to wait a whole month. So if you sign up Feb 22nd, your coverage wouldn't start until Apr 1st.
  8. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,068
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    Oh and the dental. If you want dental, you have to sign up somewhere to have a few extra dollars taken out of his pay. I forget the exact amount. It's separate from signing up for Tricare.
    It's online, I think. At least it was for me! And if he has less than 1 year left on his contract, you can't sign up for dental. I found that out when I got married.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. Senior Member
    *Palindrome*'s Avatar
    *Palindrome* is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    VA to Japanland!
    Posts
    4,528
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    As for the military stuff, he enrolls you in DEERS and then you go with him and get your ID card. That's about it. Memorize his social security number if you plan to use on base doctors, etc...

    I'm not sure about the other stuff but I'm sure lots of people will know
    Thank you! I guess I should be memorizing his social then.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Does your DF live off base already? I think if he's too low ranked to live off base without being married, you have to wait til you are married to sign a lease. Otherwise you could sign one early. I mean, lots of places will know if there will be something available and let you sign it a head of time.

    Once you're in DEERS, you get your ID card and base decals (if ya need em) and then your DH can enroll you in tricare online.

    If you're looking for entry level work I'd apply just a few weeks out. Career level jobs should be a few months out.
    He doesn't like off base right now, but I think he could? I'm not sure what rank you have to be to live off base.
    So can we enroll to tricare online then?? That's super helpful!
    Quote Originally Posted by ofnyandrome View Post
    After you are married, he will take you and your marriage certificate (you might need your passport or birth certificate?) to DEERS on base to enroll you and get you ID. Then you will go down the hall to the next adjoining building and sign up for TRICARE. That's all I did. I haven't registered my car yet, but your DF will know how to do that.... I am doing it in a few weeks.

    If there are positions you see online, I would apply in January, after you have a marriage/move date. But don't stress too much if you need to get down there before you actually find something.
    I'm thinking I probably will wait till January to apply for jobs as well, because I don't want to apply right now and get something and not be able to move.
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post
    He also has to update his Page 2 (next of kin form). (not sure what it's called for the other branches...)
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Oh yeah once you are married make sure you get certified copies of your license right away!!! Otherwise you might have to wait weeks for them to be mailed and you won't be able to be in DEERS that whole time.
    Ok we will just ask for them right away then. How many copies do we need??

  10. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,068
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by *Palindrome* View Post
    Ok we will just ask for them right away then. How many copies do we need??
    I'd get at least 3. One for him for DEERS, one for you for social security & driver's license, and a third just in case. You may have to take the signed certificate back to the courthouse place in person, DH and I did that instead of letting the officiant deal with it.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •