Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lots of questions!

1. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    Oh and the dental. If you want dental, you have to sign up somewhere to have a few extra dollars taken out of his pay. I forget the exact amount. It's separate from signing up for Tricare.

ETA: Also, about Tricare just so you aren't surprised, it can take about a month to have full coverage. I *think* it's like, if you sign up before the 20th of the month, your coverage starts on the 1st of the next month (so, lets say you sign up Feb 2nd, it would start Mar 1). But if you sign up after the 20th (I think that's what it is, but someone else might know for sure), you have to wait a whole month. So if you sign up Feb 22nd, your coverage wouldn't start until Apr 1st.
    That's true for the dental (since you pay for it) and for getting logged in the TRICARE system. However, if you see a doctor in the mean time, you will pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed. You are covered from the day of your marriage, even if you aren't in the TRICARE system yet. You would have to file your own claim later.... at least that's how the TRICARE person explained it to me when I signed up. I wasn't in the system until Nov. 1, but she said if I saw any doctor between the date we were married and then, to hold onto that paperwork to get paid back.
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by *Palindrome* View Post
    Thank you! I guess I should be memorizing his social then.
    everyone will ask you for it. On base they usually just need the last four digits, but if you get referred off base, his whole social is your insurance ID number (Tricare doesn't give out cards with group numbers, etc...like other companies do so if they ask for your insurance card to copy, you just give them his social to write down).
  3. Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by ofnyandrome View Post
    That's true for the dental (since you pay for it) and for getting logged in the TRICARE system. However, if you see a doctor in the mean time, you will pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed. You are covered from the day of your marriage, even if you aren't in the TRICARE system yet. You would have to file your own claim later.... at least that's how the TRICARE person explained it to me when I signed up. I wasn't in the system until Nov. 1, but she said if I saw any doctor between the date we were married and then, to hold onto that paperwork to get paid back.
    Oh good to know! They never told me that It always concerns me moving Tricare regions, because of that gap in time.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    It's online, I think. At least it was for me! And if he has less than 1 year left on his contract, you can't sign up for dental. I found that out when I got married.
    I'm pretty sure he will have a year and a month left when we get married.
    Thank you everyone, this is super helpful!

5. Moderator

He'll go to IPAC and DEERS to enroll you in everything.

Enjoy IPAC. I swear IPAC and eMarine are the bane of the USMC. Anyway, he'll need your marriage certificate, your birth certificate, and your social security card. They'll get you in the system and issue your ID card.
  6. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Just a heads up too, if you plan on changing your last name, go to the social security office and DPS first and get receipts showing you submitted for your new name before you get enrolled in DEERS... I didn't do that and they put my maiden name in DEERS which was fine but then we had to go back and sit for another hour and a half to get it re-changed to my married name pain in the bum you can honestly knock them out all in one swoop just get up early and go go go haha.

But once you're in DEERS, like everyone else said just head on down and enroll in Tricare.

7. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    Just a heads up too, if you plan on changing your last name, go to the social security office and DPS first and get receipts showing you submitted for your new name before you get enrolled in DEERS... I didn't do that and they put my maiden name in DEERS which was fine but then we had to go back and sit for another hour and a half to get it re-changed to my married name pain in the bum you can honestly knock them out all in one swoop just get up early and go go go haha.

But once you're in DEERS, like everyone else said just head on down and enroll in Tricare.
    I am in DEERS under my maiden name and have to change it next month.
  8. Senior Member
    If he can live offbase now, he might want to do the paperwork to do so (or do it maybe a month or so before the wedding), and then get an apartment then. If he waits until you are married to apply, it can take a month of more to start seeing the BAH. He would get back pay for it, but you'd be paying rent without having the money for a while. If he applies ahead of time, then he'll have the single-rate BAH already started and you'll only have to wait for the slight "with-dependents" rate to kick in.

I'm assuming you want to move in right away after the wedding. So you could sign the least a few weeks before the wedding and have him move in (and you could either move in then, or wait until you are officially married if you prefer). Then you don't have to deal with it right on the heels of the wedding.

I'd start applying for jobs about 6-8 weeks before I planned to be in the area, if I was applying for professional positions. If I was applying for retail or service type positions, I'd apply maybe three weeks out.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post

I agree about this. I waited a year to change my name, so I was in the system with my maiden name as DH's second dependent (His ex wife being first, they keep them in the records like that). Well when I went to update my new name, the person just added me as a third dependent :headbang So now, DH has me listed twice. No one knows how to fix it (or says they can't, maybe soandso can......nope). It was pretty funny when my on base counselor thought she'd discovered some deep dark secret that he had really been married twice before, not just once! But really it's annoying. My prescriptions and medical bills all come randomly with either last name.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12