Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Housing question(s).. please HELP!

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Housing question(s).. please HELP!

Advertisements
    Okay, so hopefully someone can help me out on this.. I am wondering how the whole military housing process works? Like how long does it take to get it once you're married, what is a basic housing allowance? (is that what it's called?) do you get that allowance if you choose to live off base?.. Any info at all would really be very much appreciated! Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    You get BAH (Basic Housing Allowance if you live off base. If you live in military housing, then they take your BAH to pay for the house they provide. (In a few cases, they don't take all of it, but that's pretty unusual.)

As for how long it takes, it depends on what base you are at and how full their housing is. They only have a limited number of homes. You can show up at the base (or get married and then apply for housing) and if they have something in the size you qualify for, they could offer it to you within a week. On the other hand, some places have been known to have wait lists of 12+ months. And it changes all the time. A place that had a 12 month wait list could have a 3 month wait list half a year later. Or it could be a 12 month wait list for someone who needs a 3 bedroom and a 2 month wait for someone who only needs 2.

The size and type of house you get is based on his rank and the number of kids you have.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Banned
    Banned
    BAH is the housing allowance for paying for housing - whether on or off base.

for the wait lists it completely depends on area, could be no wait- could be 24 month wait.

when you get married it will take 1-3 months to get the BAH started after all the paperwork has been submitted. Something to plan for.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HisLovely55 View Post
    Okay, so hopefully someone can help me out on this.. I am wondering how the whole military housing process works? Like how long does it take to get it once you're married, what is a basic housing allowance? (is that what it's called?) do you get that allowance if you choose to live off base?.. Any info at all would really be very much appreciated! Thanks!
    Hi,

Once you get to a base you can go on their list. At some bases you can go on their housing list 30 days before you (the active duty person actually lol) has to report to that base. Once on the list you move up it as people move out. Sometimes there is no wait some times you have a couple weeks or months and at some bases wait can be as long as a year or 2. Edit to add, in many cases AF bases are charging for electricity. But they take a certain amount of the bah (an amount set from an average of bills from whatever layout the house you would be in) to pay the bill. If you stay under that allowance you get a rebate, if you go over you pay. And the home you get will depend on rank (often size of family but I have seen childless 18 year old couples move into 3 bedroom homes as that is what was open so that is not an always).

BAH (basic housing allowance) amount depends on where the military member is stationed and their rank (and than if there are dependents). If you live on base housing takes it, if you live off you get it. If you live overseas it is slightly different and I don't know exactly how it works as thankfully we have never been overseas.