Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you bought your first house

1. Moderator

When you bought your first house

Advertisements
    Did it freak you out at all? I swear I have like zero anxiety about big decisions most of the time but this whole process has me flip-flopping like a fish out of water. The idea is exciting but getting down to the details is nerve-wracking as all getout. I'm not asking if I SHOULD buy a house, this isn't the place, but I'm wondering if my brain is just playing tricks on me or if this is fairly common.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I wasn't nervous but I think that may have been because we had a lot of other super stressful things going on at that time so it kind of took some of the stress away. A LOT, like seriously at least 5, of our friends have recently bought houses and they have all been super nervous about it and how big of a decision it is. It is a gigantic decision so I think it's perfectly normal to have anxiety about it. I promise it's awesome though .
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I was definitely freaked out by it. My realtor told me it was very common and that it should go away after a few days being in the house, and for me she was right...although she could have just been saying that to make sure I bought the house . We're hoping to get PCS'ed back there so we can do some stuff to the house and sell it so we can buy again when we PCS elsewhere. Plus it's really nice to be able to paint and mess with doing things you're usually not allowed to do in other peoples houses.
  4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I definitely was nervous and wondering if it was the right choice. DH is still AD, so we'll likely have to leave it but it's our retirement house so we need to be able to afford it and live somewhere else. It was stressful, and then of course the emotions of loosing houses and closing and all that jazz. It's been really awesome though
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I was good until the day we closed and got the keys.. then panic hit like 'did we seriously just buy a house...'
    I was like that for a week or so, questioning our choice, wondering if we did the right thing, etc...

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    and it's the same with our second house.

It's a 30 year commitment (most of the time) and a big chunk of money to sign your name to owing.

7. Moderator

I asked my mom this and she said she still freaks out about it occasionally... and they bought their house 25 years ago and have never moved!

It makes me feel a little bit better to imagine how awesome the houses I'm looking at will look with Christmas decorations on them though.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Yes, yes I did. For me, it was a super huge commitment for someone who has lived most of her life in a nomadic way, moving every few years.

And I'm not gonna lie - the mortgage debt? I thought I was going to throw up. At closing, my husband and our realtor thought I was going to throw up.

Now, as for which house to buy? Nope. As soon as I saw the outside of it, I knew. And I saw the outside of it as we pulled into the driveway of the house at the entrance to the cul-de-sac to see that house. I got out of the car and just stared down the cul-de-sac at it. I asked my realtor if it was on my list and he said yes we had an appointment later that afternoon. My realtor also says that he knew that was the house I was going to get when I just stared at it.
  9. Senior Member
    I got nervous when we were signing the paperwork. I still think about how nuts it is that they let us buy a house and that we own it though haha
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I had my fair share of freakout/stressed moments during the whole process As Lynn said, I had no doubts about the house itself, but EVERYTHING else that came with that whole process was just
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast