Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Talk to me about swimming pools

1. Moderator

Talk to me about swimming pools

Advertisements
    So we're planning to buy a house here in the next couple of months, which is terrifying and moderately exciting- it's something we planned specifically NOT to ever do, but hey, times change. What we're finding is that we may end up having to buy a house with a pool if we want everything else to be perfect. I mean, I've found lots without them, but for some reason the ones that fit what we're looking for best tend to have pools, which is really annoying. Originally, a pool was an automatic disqualifier for us.

If you've owned/rented a home with a pool, would you please share your experience with me? Was it expensive? Troublesome? How much did you use it? Does it affect the cost of homeowner's insurance significantly? Did anyone just drain/not use the pool at all? Anything else that might be useful for me to know while considering homes?

I've had suggestions like draining, building ramps and using it as a mini skate park, or draining and making it into a play area, or draining and putting in a garden. My concerns are that most of them are not secured in ANY way, let alone well-secured, which would HAVE to change for me to be comfortable with it; we don't actually swim much (though that would probably change if the pool were in our back yard); cost and maintenance. We're having another baby in February- I don't know that we'll have much spare time to take care of it as necessary.

TIA so much for any info or advice!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    we were going to put a pool in. after running the numbers we decided not too : here is why:
    1) electric bill- right now my electric bill runs 200 from june -sept- the electric company estimated that we could double that easily- 400 dollars for a electric bill was insane to me.
    2) homeowners insurance would have went up 700 dollars a year ( on top of the 400 dollars a year it went up because rates increased)
    3) the cost for cleaning and chemicals- I worked full time, from 6- 6 mon- fri cleaning the pool every day or every other day was just not possible ( and DH is living in DC so I would have had to pay 55-75 a week or find the time in my already busy weekend) We were going to go Saline, so checking PH and stuff is a little easier, but still something that has to be done routinely.
    4) really how often would I use it? we could not use it all year without adding a heater ( can you think high electric bills all year)
    5) because we are in GA there were a few things we needed to do to our home to make it "pool Safe" including put locks on all three of our gates, door alarms and either a pool alarm of a screen around the actual pool ( because we had a toddler in the home at the time).
    6) statistically home with pools take longer to sell that homes without, if we ever needed to sell, we didn't want that to make it hard to sell
    7) it is not true that pools add value, they can actually cause you to lose value on your home, and you will not regain any of the money that is spent on the pool.

If you decide to buy with a pool, pay a certified pool inspector to inspect the pool thouroughly, ( this is not covered under a "normal" home inspection, he will check the pump, the concrete, the filter, he will check for cracks, loose tiles ill fitting parts and parts that are not approved ect.
  3. Senior Member
    My grandparents have always had pools. They hang out on the porch a lot and they like how it looks. No one ever goes in it though and they acknowledge that it's sort of a waste of money.

They're great for kids though. When I was little I spent basically all my free time swimming (obviously supervised). I never wanted a pool but depending on where we end up and what we can afford, we'd like to have one now.
  4. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    we were going to put a pool in. after running the numbers we decided not too : here is why:
    1) electric bill- right now my electric bill runs 200 from june -sept- the electric company estimated that we could double that easily- 400 dollars for a electric bill was insane to me.
    2) homeowners insurance would have went up 700 dollars a year ( on top of the 400 dollars a year it went up because rates increased)
    3) the cost for cleaning and chemicals- I worked full time, from 6- 6 mon- fri cleaning the pool every day or every other day was just not possible ( and DH is living in DC so I would have had to pay 55-75 a week or find the time in my already busy weekend) We were going to go Saline, so checking PH and stuff is a little easier, but still something that has to be done routinely.
    4) really how often would I use it? we could not use it all year without adding a heater ( can you think high electric bills all year)
    5) because we are in GA there were a few things we needed to do to our home to make it "pool Safe" including put locks on all three of our gates, door alarms and either a pool alarm of a screen around the actual pool ( because we had a toddler in the home at the time).
    6) statistically home with pools take longer to sell that homes without, if we ever needed to sell, we didn't want that to make it hard to sell
    7) it is not true that pools add value, they can actually cause you to lose value on your home, and you will not regain any of the money that is spent on the pool.

If you decide to buy with a pool, pay a certified pool inspector to inspect the pool thouroughly, ( this is not covered under a "normal" home inspection, he will check the pump, the concrete, the filter, he will check for cracks, loose tiles ill fitting parts and parts that are not approved ect.
    Awesome info- thank you so much!! I did notice that about home values- the homes with pools are slightly less expensive than comparable homes without them. We will also be in GA- are those state laws? I have been incredibly surprised at how many pools are not secured in any way- no fencing, no covers, nothing! Good point about re-selling in the future if necessary too.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    My grandparents have always had pools. They hang out on the porch a lot and they like how it looks. No one ever goes in it though and they acknowledge that it's sort of a waste of money.

They're great for kids though. When I was little I spent basically all my free time swimming (obviously supervised). I never wanted a pool but depending on where we end up and what we can afford, we'd like to have one now.
    Yes! My g-parents in Washington had a pool and that's all we did when we visited them... and it also seemed like upkeep was all my gpa ever did!
  5. Banned
    Banned
    I think they are based on county and when the pool was built- I had friends whose pool was 10 years old and they were not required to have anything, no alarms, no fencing nothing and they lived in an area with a lot of kids.

I would also look at the time the homes with pools have been on the market, this is a good indicator of how they sell in your area.
  6. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Go with a salt water system, instead of dumping in all the chemicals you dump in bags of salt. It chlorinates the pool by sucking the chlorine out of the salt. Much cheaper, easier and far less abrasive.
  7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

We have a pool. I haven't found it to be a hassle really. Dh uses it a lot, I do when we have people over. I've had to change filter.cartridges and whatever. It's not as bad asy relatives (who don't have pools) made it sound.
  8. Senior Member
    Having an empty pool doesn't make all the problems or expenses go away. You might still see an increase in your insurance (an empty pool still poses some threats), and there will also be maintenance with it, since water will collect in the bottom and will need to be drained frequently so it doesn't grow and become a breeding ground for insects.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Moderator

Thanks for the input and info, ladies! I went and removed homes with pools from my list... I really think in our circumstances it's just not worth it. I still have 15 homes saved without them, all of which meet our criteria, so hopefully we're still going to have a successful home-tour babymoon.