Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orders to Hawaii!!! Help???!?

1. Regular Member

Orders to Hawaii!!! Help???!?

Advertisements
    My DH and I just got married in May, his orders are to Hawaii in November,
    We'll be on Oahu.
    Could someone give me advice on things i need to do before we go?
    And what to expect when i get there?
    Off base vs on base living?
  2. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    What branch is he in? Do you know what base he's being stationed at?

As for things to do before you go, the main thing would be if you have pets. Check out the quarantine laws for pets coming to the island if you do have them and plan to bring them: Animal Quarantine Information Page | Animal Industry Division

As for what to expect? Expect beautiful weather and lots of sun Make sure to be careful in the sun though because the rays are very strong there. I burn very rarely, but too long in the hawaiian sun, and I'm as red as a lobster.

There's upsides and downsides to both on and off base living. A big factor of on base living would be what base you'd be living on. Some of the bases have beautiful housing, some have nice older housing, and some of it's pretty run down. Main downside of off base living is that it's expensive...very expensive. Food shop at the commissary whenever possible because shopping off base can add anywhere from $50-$150 onto a normal grocery bill.

3. Banned
    Banned
    what branch? this is very important because what you need to do will vary by branch

are you needing to take pets?
  4. Regular Member
    Im not sure if im replying correctly, lol. I've never used a site like this besides today,
    Its Schofield Barracks, i've decided to leave my dog home with my family, i seen that it's possible, for them to be stuck in Quarantine for 120 days, and that its expensive to move pets.
    And all the looking i've done for apartments, i could barely find any with rent under 1000, it'd be expensive. But im not sure if we would like living on base all too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by *IGrow'EmXL* View Post
    What branch is he in? Do you know what base he's being stationed at?

As for things to do before you go, the main thing would be if you have pets. Check out the quarantine laws for pets coming to the island if you do have them and plan to bring them: Animal Quarantine Information Page | Animal Industry Division

As for what to expect? Expect beautiful weather and lots of sun Make sure to be careful in the sun though because the rays are very strong there. I burn very rarely, but too long in the hawaiian sun, and I'm as red as a lobster.

There's upsides and downsides to both on and off base living. A big factor of on base living would be what base you'd be living on. Some of the bases have beautiful housing, some have nice older housing, and some of it's pretty run down. Main downside of off base living is that it's expensive...very expensive. Food shop at the commissary whenever possible because shopping off base can add anywhere from $50-$150 onto a normal grocery bill.
  5. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    As far as your pet goes, you have plenty of time to qualify for the immediate release program. If you can't afford the move, check with the SPCA International. They have a program to help keep military families and their pets together.

Operation Military Pets | SPCAI | SPCA International - SPCAI

Base housing if you bring your dog will probably be your best bet. Finding decent housing that will alllow a pet is not easy.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  6. Senior Member
    What branch is your husband in? (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines...?)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Probably army since he's going to schofield

~Tilly Therber
  8. Regular Member
    He's Army.
    I have a chihuahua, i'm was also nervous about the flight out there, i was reading that the animals are kept in kennels and it gets very hot. And a long flight, Im not sure if she could take it, she can barely stand storms
    I dont think my DH wants her anyhow, (We havent officially lived together yet. He lives in Tennessee and i'm still home with my family, until he gets out of school in Georgia)
  9. Regular Member
    Yes, He's going to Schofield.
  10. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    I have two and they did just fine. It's up to you. Just letting you know there are options.

Quote Originally Posted by ASCourtney View Post
    He's Army.
    I have a chihuahua, i'm was also nervous about the flight out there, i was reading that the animals are kept in kennels and it gets very hot. And a long flight, Im not sure if she could take it, she can barely stand storms
    I dont think my DH wants her anyhow, (We havent officially lived together yet. He lives in Tennessee and i'm still home with my family, until he gets out of school in Georgia)

~Tilly Therber
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast