Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Orders to Hawaii!!! Help???!?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by ASCourtney View Post
    He's Army.
    I have a chihuahua, i'm was also nervous about the flight out there, i was reading that the animals are kept in kennels and it gets very hot. And a long flight, Im not sure if she could take it, she can barely stand storms
    I dont think my DH wants her anyhow, (We havent officially lived together yet. He lives in Tennessee and i'm still home with my family, until he gets out of school in Georgia)
    Most airlines have a temperature cut-off for flying pets out. Our chihuahua made the trip from HI to TX in August and was okay but we flew her cargo on American Airlines. She flew on an overnight flight when the temps were lower.

ETA: We were able to do direct release with our cat when we arrived on island because he started his quarantine process before we left Colorado.
  2. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Im not sure if im replying correctly, lol. I've never used a site like this besides today,
    Its Schofield Barracks, i've decided to leave my dog home with my family, i seen that it's possible, for them to be stuck in Quarantine for 120 days, and that its expensive to move pets.
    And all the looking i've done for apartments, i could barely find any with rent under 1000, it'd be expensive. But im not sure if we would like living on base all too much.
    Yeah, rent can get expensive, but when we were living there the army gave us (E-4) $1900/mnth in BAH for rent, so it is possible to find a place off base, but it can definitely be expensive and sometimes take all of your BAH, if not a little more. If you look off base I'd start with places in Mililani or Kunia. They're both really nice towns, and still pretty close to Schofield.

We lived on Schofield (our house was technically on Wheeler across the street), and I don't really have any complaints. We lived in what was called "historic housing," and I actually liked it for the most part. We had a solo house as opposed to a new duplex apartment, and I honestly preferred it that way. If there were any maintenance issues, they were pretty quick to come and fix/replace whatever we needed.

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *IGrow'EmXL* View Post
    What branch is he in? Do you know what base he's being stationed at?

As for things to do before you go, the main thing would be if you have pets. Check out the quarantine laws for pets coming to the island if you do have them and plan to bring them: Animal Quarantine Information Page | Animal Industry Division

As for what to expect? Expect beautiful weather and lots of sun Make sure to be careful in the sun though because the rays are very strong there. I burn very rarely, but too long in the hawaiian sun, and I'm as red as a lobster.

There's upsides and downsides to both on and off base living. A big factor of on base living would be what base you'd be living on. Some of the bases have beautiful housing, some have nice older housing, and some of it's pretty run down. Main downside of off base living is that it's expensive...very expensive. Food shop at the commissary whenever possible because shopping off base can add anywhere from $50-$150 onto a normal grocery bill.
    To the bolded: YES! Wear lots and lots of sunscreen because O'ahu is on the 21 latitude so you will burn quickly if you're not careful. I am very fair-skinned so I spent a lot of time inside or covered with long sleeves and hats.

Hawaii is beautiful. There are a lot of things to do. I regret that I didn't get out and enjoy the island sooner than I did. We were in HI for four years and packed a lot into the last year.

I agree that there are perks to living on/off base. We've done both. We also have done shopping at the local grocery stores, commissaries and farmer's markets. There are some nice farmer's markets there.

It doesn't freeze but it does get cold. Some houses, especially the older homes and homes off base, do not have heating elements. We lived in a "beach cottage" in Ewa Beach during our first year and that was the rainiest rainy season that we had the entire time we were there. It dipped well below 60. Keep a small supply of sweatshirts/sweaters/etc.
  4. Regular Member
    My DH said we'd be getting 2100 $ once we get there, verse the 1600 now. So maybe finding a place wont be that bad. It's hard trying to figure things out with me and him in two different states, and he's a "we'll see when we get there" kinda person.

But i always had a question about babies. We've been talking about trying for one. And we're both all for it. But i wont see him again until September, and we're leaving in November, would it be bad timing for us to start trying? And i dont really know how flying and pregnancy goes.

Neither one of us have kids. And he's been in for almost four years now.(He's 23) So neither of us have experience with living in our own house. Especially with wanting a baby to go with that.
  5. Senior Member
    Yeah, rent can get expensive, but when we were living there the army gave us (E-4) $1900/mnth in BAH for rent, so it is possible to find a place off base, but it can definitely be expensive and sometimes take all of your BAH, if not a little more. If you look off base I'd start with places in Mililani or Kunia. They're both really nice towns, and still pretty close to Schofield.

We lived on Schofield (our house was technically on Wheeler across the street), and I don't really have any complaints. We lived in what was called "historic housing," and I actually liked it for the most part. We had a solo house as opposed to a new duplex apartment, and I honestly preferred it that way. If there were any maintenance issues, they were pretty quick to come and fix/replace whatever we needed.
    I feel like I'm following your replies around. SORRY! I just want to touch on living off-base. We lived in Mililani Mauka and it was about a ten minute drive to Schofield. We rented a tiny three-bedroom town home that was about 900 sq ft for $1800 per month. At the time, DH was receiving $2400 in BAH so the "extra" that we had went to utilities. Our electric bill was... rather expensive. It was at least $300 per month and we rarely used the A/C unit. We ended up moving on base because we grew out of the 3BR when YDD was born.

Our experience in base housing was pleasant aside from the issues with had with the leasing company. We lived on Hickam and were within walking distance to the BX, commissary, fitness center, chapel, pool and elementary school. It was great.
  6. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    My DH said we'd be getting 2100 $ once we get there, verse the 1600 now. So maybe finding a place wont be that bad. It's hard trying to figure things out with me and him in two different states, and he's a "we'll see when we get there" kinda person.

But i always had a question about babies. We've been talking about trying for one. And we're both all for it. But i wont see him again until September, and we're leaving in November, would it be bad timing for us to start trying? And i dont really know how flying and pregnancy goes.

Neither one of us have kids. And he's been in for almost four years now.(He's 23) So neither of us have experience with living in our own house. Especially with wanting a baby to go with that.
    Flying while pregnant, especially before your 3rd trimester, is no biggie if you have a healthy pregnancy. I flew from HI to NY 6 months pregnant

It's really all about your comfort level when it comes to TTC. Unless you manage to get an apartment before you move there, you're going to spend at least a few weeks, maybe even months, in a hotel. If you have no issues with being pregnant and going through the ups and downs of moving, and moving in with someone, go for it. That being said, I'd personally wait until you're settled and have become to accustomed to living together, especially if you never have (which from this post is seems that you've never lived together, correct?). Living with someone for the first time, even if you've known them forever can be an interesting transition. I knew my DH since HS, but moving in together was a whole other ball game. We had more fights in the first 6 months than in all the years I'd known him. You have to get used to each other quirks and after a little time, you learn what pushes their buttons, what you can compromise on, and you settle into a routine with each other.

7. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by daisyluvbug View Post
    I feel like I'm following your replies around. SORRY! I just want to touch on living off-base. We lived in Mililani Mauka and it was about a ten minute drive to Schofield. We rented a tiny three-bedroom town home that was about 900 sq ft for $1800 per month. At the time, DH was receiving $2400 in BAH so the "extra" that we had went to utilities. Our electric bill was... rather expensive. It was at least $300 per month and we rarely used the A/C unit. We ended up moving on base because we grew out of the 3BR when YDD was born.

Our experience in base housing was pleasant aside from the issues with had with the leasing company. We lived on Hickam and were within walking distance to the BX, commissary, fitness center, chapel, pool and elementary school. It was great.

You're just me, admit it

8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daisyluvbug View Post

It's completely fine, the more advice the better!
  9. Senior Member

If you were to get pregnant, you'd still be in the early weeks. It depends on whether or not you feel it's right for you because there is always the possibility of having morning sickness. I didn't have it and I made the flight to and from the mainland at 16 weeks and had no issues with the except of a small bout with nausea about halfway through the flight from Seattle to HNL.
  10. Senior Member
    You're just me, admit it
    Busted.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast