Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Moving without DH

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Moving without DH

Advertisements
    My DH and I had been hoping to move into a bigger 3 bed duplex with backyard before he left but it just didn't happen. I got a call today that it is now available. Spoke to DH and he wants to go for it, which means I move our current household without him. I looked into movers and OMG expensive!!!!! Im scared to do this but I some of the most important reasons for wanting to move out of our current location is because of the rising crime. I know DH would worry less if I moved to the nicer neighborhood. After all Im all by myself except for the once a month I have his boys (my stepsons). Anyone ever gone through a move without SO? Words of encouragement or advice appreciated.

I also worry about DH coming home from deploy without a familiar surrounding.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I have done it before, once without kids from South Carolina to Hawaii and once with my son and two dogs from Hawaii to Guam. With that being said, those were PCS moves so the military did the physical packing of the stuff and I just did all of the organizing and paperwork. We just moved on our own dime, like you will be, from off base to on and we did it without movers and without a moving truck even. My biggest suggestion would be to assemble as many friends as you can possibly find and even recruit some teenagers who just need a little extra cash and people with larger SUV or trucks and go from there. We moved all of our stuff with just a friend's pick up truck and our SUV on our own. It sucked, was stressful, I'm super glad its over with and. Don't want to do it again but it could have been a lot worse. Also, Home Depot and Lowes both rent pick up trucks for fairly cheap. That was our original plan but my husband's boat was leaving so one of the single sailors loaned us his pick up for the entire time the boat was gone at the time for us to use.
  3. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    I moved from San Diego to Hawaii with me, two dogs and a teenager. My husband was at sea when I moved here. He was gone 7 months and he was very happy to come home to a settled and comfy home. When I lived in WA I moved myself twice without movers. I got boxes and moved all the small stuff myself and then got a hold of a couple friends and rented a truck to move the heavy stuff. You can do it. Just make a plan and take it one step at a time.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  4. Banned
    Banned
    I have done it- I moved all the light stuff myself and then hired "2 men and a truck" to come move the large stuff in one trip. I think it cost me like 150 dollars for 4 hours and their truck.

I have also paid strong teenagers in my neighborhood to help me move the furniture for a local move to new place 6 blocks away.

there definitely are options to help get your stuff moved!

oh when I had to do this I paid rent at both places for a week or so so I could take my time getting everything I could move to the new place and clean.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    I have done it- I moved all the light stuff myself and then hired "2 men and a truck" to come move the large stuff in one trip. I think it cost me like 150 dollars for 4 hours and their truck.

I have also paid strong teenagers in my neighborhood to help me move the furniture for a local move to new place 6 blocks away.

oh when I had to do this I paid rent at both places for a week or so so I could take my time getting everything I could move to the new place and clean.
    Oh glad you mentioned that! We overlapped places by 4/5 days for this last move and it was definitely a life saver! Also, if you have any friends with empty garages or spare bedrooms, moving stuff into their place ahead of the move will help alleviate the rushing around on moving day/days. We have great friends who let us fill up their garage and spare bedroom with boxes as we packed things up so that we would have less to rush out and we could take a little more time to get that stuff over to the new house.
  6. Senior Member
    I did it. While DH was deployed I moved us into our apartment which is on the 2nd floor. I moved all of the boxes and other loght stuff over a few days and then my sister helped me move the couches and furniture in. The only stuff we couldn't do was the office desk (it's big and heavy) and the washer and dryer. It is definitely do able but you will prob need a friend to help with the big stuff or hire some help.
  7. Senior Member
    Overlapping for at least a couple days is key. It takes so much of the pressure off, and it can even save you money in the end because it can allow you to move yourself, with the help of a few friends and a rental truck, or better yet friend's trucks and cars. Pay them in pizza, beer and profuse thanks.

A cross town move can be done over the course of 1 day if you have U-haul, but it can be a bitch and you need to be very organized and have everything boxed the day before you start. If you have 2 days, it is way less painful and you can do 1 day on your own if your friends can only give you 1 day, moving the boxes and lighter stuff, and then have friends help with the large furniture on the second day. If you have a large vehicle, you can just use that for the first day, and move a dozen trips back and forth if necessary, and then rent a truck the second day if no one has a pick up. Oh, and you can almost always find moving boxes for free or very, very cheap on freecycle or Craigslist.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by KarmaRocks View Post
    My husband was at sea when I moved here. He was gone 7 months and he was very happy to come home to a settled and comfy home.
    I'm so glad to hear this. I get excited when it comes to arranging a new household and starting with fresh walls and carpet. But Im pretty sure that no matter what I do with the couches when DH comes home he will re-arrange them. LOL Thank you
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post

I did look into moving companies and I have to admit that 2 Men and a Truck was the company that seemed most upfront and helpful. I will do my best about overlapping the move. And Im pretty sure that I could put a heavy dent into packing and moving boxed stuff. I was mostly worried about beds, dressers, tvs, couches... (the HEAVY stuff) especially from a 2 story townhouse.
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Overlapping for at least a couple days is key. It takes so much of the pressure off, and it can even save you money in the end because it can allow you to move yourself, with the help of a few friends and a rental truck, or better yet friend's trucks and cars. Pay them in pizza, beer and profuse thanks.

A cross town move can be done over the course of 1 day if you have U-haul, but it can be a bitch and you need to be very organized and have everything boxed the day before you start. If you have 2 days, it is way less painful and you can do 1 day on your own if your friends can only give you 1 day, moving the boxes and lighter stuff, and then have friends help with the large furniture on the second day. If you have a large vehicle, you can just use that for the first day, and move a dozen trips back and forth if necessary, and then rent a truck the second day if no one has a pick up. Oh, and you can almost always find moving boxes for free or very, very cheap on freecycle or Craigslist.
    I remember my mom used to entice my friends to help move when I was a teenager and the rewards were always Pizza, soda and sometimes a movie ticket. Thanks for reminding me about that. Also I never thought about boxes from craigslist. Thank you for the tip.