Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much is ur rent? camp pendleton!!

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

how much is ur rent? camp pendleton!!

Advertisements
    This might be too personal for some people but if you would like to answer I would appreciate it

We want a house on base in Camp pendleton CA but we are trying to decided if thats a better choice than off base housing. He is an E3 and works in the Northern part of base. It will just be me and him (we do not have kids) so a 2 bedroom wouldnt be bad I prefer on base housing because my brother is also stationed there and will be living in the barracks and I wouldnt mind being close by to him.

any help would be appreciated!! TIA
    Vmigirl & missmay are my wifies!

DH is out of the Marines and now I'm joining the military!
    Excited to see what the next few years hold for us

2. You are here.
    You are here.
    depends, some housing will take all your BAH and there are others that won't (older smaller homes)

are you married? If not you won't be allowed to live on base, he'll have to find a place off base and BAH will only cover single, not w/ dependents
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    we will be married in august then apply for the housing

4. Open arms, open heart
    Open arms, open heart
    We lived in a 2-bed, 2-bath apartment in San Clemente, with a one-car unattached garage for $1650. We moved on base about a year ago because we wanted a yard for our dog. We're in San onofre 1, so housing takes all the BAH. I'm not really a fan of living on base but I like our house and having a backyard, attached garage and our own washer and dryer (no more coin laundry, amazing! ) is nice. Houses for rent in San Clemente and Dana Point were around $2500-$2800/month so base housing is the most financially savvy option for us with what we wanted.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    You can find out BAH rates online if you wanted to see what people "should" be within their limits. I find most people stay within their BAH but there is always the few who go over their BAH.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisheswife View Post
    You can find out BAH rates online if you wanted to see what people "should" be within their limits. I find most people stay within their BAH but there is always the few who go over their BAH.
    I've personally never known anyone who stayed within BAH when utilities, etc, are included. We've never even manged to stay at BAH for rent.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    thanks ladies i have checked to see how much BAH we will get but I still am just curious how much rent actually is. I guess I will just have to wait and see next month

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach View Post
    I've personally never known anyone who stayed within BAH when utilities, etc, are included. We've never even manged to stay at BAH for rent.
    I was talking more about the house itself. I have known a few people who have gone over the BAH just for the rent itself.
  9. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach View Post
    With rent(even with having pet rent) water, electric, and extc added in. We stay a little over $200 below the BAH here, and DH is(was?) an E-5 so not a ton of money to play around with. Lol I know a few other couples that rent, or that have bought homes that also stay under the BAH monthly by quiet a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCfiance1 View Post
    thanks ladies i have checked to see how much BAH we will get but I still am just curious how much rent actually is. I guess I will just have to wait and see next month
    Shop around/look around but with your soon to be DH having a low rate it maybe better for you. Where I live prices have actually gone down for rent, and right now is only "Starting at $1305" for a one bedroom. These apartments come with washer and dryer, are in a decent area, and is only about 25 minutes from the main gate of Camp Pendleton South. Which is the gate by where the commissary, gas station, the new MEX they built, and where the new Hospital area is going to be. Oh and this place I live if comes with a flat screen LG T.v. that is the complexes.(no "extra fee" either just something they offer I guess to compete with other places.) With rent, pet rent, water, trash, electric, and all that added in we pay a little over $1600. For a 2bed/2bath, with a washer a drier included, all tile floors(which costs us a little more here then having all carpet, but I think it's worth it to not have all carpet flooring.). Then of course the 40inch LG flat screen T.v. that comes with the place. You can fine cheaper if you don't want washer and drier, and if you don't have a pet. Heck even here like I said the base rent for a 1bed/1bath right now is $1305. The base rent for the 2bed/ 2bath is like $1380, and that is cheap compared to everywhere else I looked that took a pet.(plus in a decent area which if you are willing to drive a little. With major areas like big cities it'll almost always be cheaper to live on the outer edges away from the main part of the city.)

We have a cat though which if you have a pet you'll find rent goes up a good bit. We pay $50 a month just in "pet rent." Then if you have a big dog places n decent areas having a big dog aren't cheap. We lived in a place in Central San Diego and had to pay a fee for parking. Altogether we paid about $1825 just for rent down there . It was a crappy over priced older place, and the area was shady to say the least.

I'm not sure what y'all get for BAH, but I know a few marine couples that are stationed at Camp Pendleton. That HATE housing on base because they got houses with no A/c.(one girl used to post pn here and that is how I met her. Here DH was your DF's rate when they moved in. Got a nice little townhouse with an extra bedroom, butt it had no A/c at all. Then they had to buy their own washer and driers. Which that is how some of the housing on base are up there I guess... I'd die with no a/c, and it's been in the upper 80's threw upper 70's round here and there lately.

With whatever you and your SO decide. I personally would never live on base housing unless I HAD too, but then again I'm not one for wanting to live that close to all the military stuff. Plus, as I said above we looked around, and found an area well below BAH. Heck I know a few people that are E-3 and E-4 that rent actual houses around Pendleton, not just a town home with a yard like you'll get on base, and they seem to manage rent. One girl I met on here her rent for a 4 bedroom house in lower then my rent for my 2 bedroom, tiny as heck apartment... All about knowing where to look and "shopping around" I guess".
    Last edited by LoveMikeyBear; 07-24-2012 at 09:32 AM.
    Signature removed due to size.
  10. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisheswife View Post

we've alway done it so yeah its possible. We could probably do it here as well, and may if the Navy lowers the electricity buffer from 10 percent to 5 like a few people on base have said.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast