Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: What would you choose?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • The most perfect place that takes all your BAH

22 47.83%
  • A smaller place where you can pocket some BAH

13 28.26%
  • A less-nice/older place where you can pocket some BAH

7 15.22%
  • A place farther away where you can pocket some BAH

4 8.70%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: military housing question

1. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡

Question military housing question

Advertisements
    Would you rather get a nicer place close to base that takes ALL your BAH or a not as nice, smaller, or not as convenient place where you get to pocket some BAH? This is for San Diego, btw.

*sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Edit: DH thinks we should take a place that will save us money, but we don't NEED to. I would prefer to choose where I want to live and not worry about the cost. The only two places that I really like (just from looking online) take all our BAH. I want to live in a pet-free community that is close to 32nd street and as nice as what I'm used to living in.
    Last edited by KaityBug; 07-02-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: more information
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    We aren't in SD, but we did not factor in 'convenience' or proximity to base when deciding where to live.

We chose good schools, safe area and the right size house. Proximity to base was of no concern. We are about 30 miles from our AF base of station (which is moot now).. but we are located 5 miles from the Marine base, and only 15 miles from the Army post.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    We aren't in SD, but we did not factor in 'convenience' or proximity to base when deciding where to live.

We chose good schools, safe area and the right size house. Proximity to base was of no concern. We are about 30 miles from our AF base of station (which is moot now).. but we are located 5 miles from the Marine base, and only 15 miles from the Army post.
    Schools won't be of any concern since DS is only a few months old, but a safe area is (of course) important to us too. I'm only thinking of proximity to base because I've heard with traffic the commute can be AWFUL there. I've never lived in a big city before, so I have no idea what to look for.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We included utilities and gas money in addition to rent when we lived off-post, so really we didn't pocket any extra money.
  5. Senior Member
    Whether I would be willing to live in military housing really depends on the house we were gonna get. Ive seen a friend's house here and I really think my apartment is nicer with the same amount of space, all we're missing is a washer/dryer and we pocket a few hundred dollars after utilities.

I would also drive farther to be able to pocket some money if the place was comparably nice. I wouldn't live somewhere in worse condition or a lot smaller, though. That would be worth the money to me.
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by KaityBug View Post
    Schools won't be of any concern since DS is only a few months old, but a safe area is (of course) important to us too. I'm only thinking of proximity to base because I've heard with traffic the commute can be AWFUL there. I've never lived in a big city before, so I have no idea what to look for.
    In our area, it doesn't matter if you live 1 mile from base or 20 miles, it could still take you an hour (and yes it can take an hour to go 1 mile), so we didn't concern ourselves with that.

If we didn't have kids (or had babies), we would lived downtown DC to relish in the beauty and history of the city, whether we pocketed BAH or not wouldn't have mattered, we would've done it for the experience.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. Banned
    Banned
    none I would never choose to live in housing in San Diego, well or anywhere else for that matter, I hate living in housing.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    none I would never choose to live in housing in San Diego, well or anywhere else for that matter, I hate living in housing.
    Haha.. there is that too...
    After living in it twice (once overseas, once stateside) I won't ever live in it again...

9. Senior Member
    For us a nice place that takes all BAH that allows our 2 dogs was best for us. Traffic can be awful, but dh has never ran into any traffic troubles on his way to and from work from our housing area. But then again he doesn't take any of the highways, he takes the back roads.

10. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Haha.. there is that too...
    After living in it twice (once overseas, once stateside) I won't ever live in it again...
    Uh oh... is it really that bad? I have had so many people tell me that in SD it is nearly impossible to *not* live in military housing because everything is either ultra expensive or in a crappy part of town.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast