Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Diego!

1. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡

San Diego!

Advertisements
    Soo we finally got ACTUAL orders on paper and everything! Those of you that live there, would you suggest military housing or just regular apartments? Any suggestions of good places to live? I've been looking at the Lincoln military housing website. DH is only an e3, so our BAH will be around $2,000. We have a baby so we will need at least 2 bedrooms, possibly 3. Everything is SO much more expensive there. I hope it is truly as wonderful as everybody thinks it is out there! Oh, and he doesn't report until Oct 18th so we have tons of time. I have heard it is super hard to get a good place out there though, so we are looking early.
  2. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    In terms of pricing, I'd say military housing. You are right, everything is SO expensive here!

3. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by sqrllvr123 View Post
    In terms of pricing, I'd say military housing. You are right, everything is SO expensive here!
    Thanks! That's what I figured. It's our first military move and there is SO much information to read up on.
  4. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Lincoln Military Housing's staff is amazing. They've helped us both times we've gone into housing! We've been in Silver Stand and we are now at Admiral Hartman.

5. Senior Member

I agree mil housing is probably your best bet. Do you know what base he will be stationed or what ship if sea duty? There are so many bases and commands here! That way you can figure out what housing would be best to go for as far as commuting. Also some housing has flat rate rent where you get to keep some of your BAH but some of those tend to be located farther away.

If housing turns out to not be as easy an option there are affordable places to live, usually apartments are cheaper and there are some nice ones below the BAH but the utilities can add up, especially the further east/inland you go the hotter the temps can be causing A/C use to go up.
  6. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    I agree mil housing is probably your best bet. Do you know what base he will be stationed or what ship if sea duty? There are so many bases and commands here! That way you can figure out what housing would be best to go for as far as commuting. Also some housing has flat rate rent where you get to keep some of your BAH but some of those tend to be located farther away.

If housing turns out to not be as easy an option there are affordable places to live, usually apartments are cheaper and there are some nice ones below the BAH but the utilities can add up, especially the further east/inland you go the hotter the temps can be causing A/C use to go up.
    Thanks, I have no idea how everything works! His ship is the USS Lake Champlain. I have been trying to get more info on the ship, but it is hard to find. We don't mind a bit of commute if it means better housing, as long as it isn't like 45 minutes or anything ridiculous. I really think military housing is our best bet. They assign you based on family size and rank, correct? So we would probably end up with a small 2BR. Oh well, we can make it work!
  7. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KaityBug View Post
    Thanks, I have no idea how everything works! His ship is the USS Lake Champlain. I have been trying to get more info on the ship, but it is hard to find. We don't mind a bit of commute if it means better housing, as long as it isn't like 45 minutes or anything ridiculous. I really think military housing is our best bet. They assign you based on family size and rank, correct? So we would probably end up with a small 2BR. Oh well, we can make it work!
    Ok, they would be at 32nd St which is the nick name of Naval Base San Diego, the "wet side." My dh's ship is there, too but deployed right now.
    In case you weren't able to find it, here is the ship's website.
    USS Lake Champlain (CG 57)

And there will be a commute pretty much whatever housing you go to. Murphy Canyon area housing (including Orleck Heights, Santo Terrace, Aero Ridge, Canyon View) is a straight shot down the 15 to the front gate.

Paradise Gardens is only 8 miles from 32nd, it's for E1-E6 and has a flat rate rent.
    Welcome to Paradise Gardens
    Paradise Gardens offers a flat rent, including utilities, of $900 for all 1-bedroom homes, $1,150 for all 2-bedroom homes and $1,500 for all 3-bedroom homes.
    There is also Silver Strand II housing, also for E1-E6 but no flat rate rent, it's right on the coast and the most sought after housing area because of it's location practically on the water.

Of course there are tons more housing areas but figured I would highlight a few. I personally never lived in housing here because I am impatient and never wanted to be put on a wait list and end up waiting something like 3 months before getting into a home so I just preferred to find a rental ready to move in. However, many people here have gotten into base housing upon arrival so it varies a lot.
  8. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

We live in Paradise Gardens. We absolutely LOVE it. We have lived "out in town" once before also and we are way more happy with the decision to move into military housing. We only need one bedroom so our rent is $900 a month and we keep the other $900 to pay other bills. DH is only E-4 so the extra money is necessary for us since we have a pretty high car payment.

The Lincoln was amazing. I set the entire thing up living in Texas while DH was deployed. I did EVERYTHING by myself over the phone and through fax. The staff is amazing.

My friend lives in Lofgren Terrace which also is partial BAH but it is more expensive. They are happy here also and have a lot more square footage but they really pay for it.

I really suggest military housing. If would have been so much easier for us the first time around.

At paradise gardens it seriously takes DH 8 minutes to get to work pending traffic of course. We truly love it here. The maintenance workers have been absolutely amazing so far. From the dishwasher not being screwed into the counter to changing light bulbs that I couldn't figure out to fixing the storm door. They have been there the very day after I called about it.

There is another place similar to Paradise Gardens, I think its called Bonita Bluff. It's slightly cheaper (maybe $50/month) but I don't believe they have washer and dryer hook-ups and that was a must for us. When we lived out in town we had to go to a laundry mat twice a month and the cost was killing us so it has been very nice having a washer and dryer.

If you need any help please let me know. I think I have an e-mail when I was first looking into the Lincoln that has a ton of stuff about it. Also, if you choose to look more into Paradise Gardens I would be happy to take pictures of our apartment for you!

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy San Diego.
  9. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    Ok, they would be at 32nd St which is the nick name of Naval Base San Diego, the "wet side." My dh's ship is there, too but deployed right now.
    In case you weren't able to find it, here is the ship's website.
    USS Lake Champlain (CG 57)

And there will be a commute pretty much whatever housing you go to. Murphy Canyon area housing (including Orleck Heights, Santo Terrace, Aero Ridge, Canyon View) is a straight shot down the 15 to the front gate.

Paradise Gardens is only 8 miles from 32nd, it's for E1-E6 and has a flat rate rent.
    Welcome to Paradise Gardens

There is also Silver Strand II housing, also for E1-E6 but no flat rate rent, it's right on the coast and the most sought after housing area because of it's location practically on the water.

Of course there are tons more housing areas but figured I would highlight a few. I personally never lived in housing here because I am impatient and never wanted to be put on a wait list and end up waiting something like 3 months before getting into a home so I just preferred to find a rental ready to move in. However, many people here have gotten into base housing upon arrival so it varies a lot.
    Oh, thank you so much for all the information!! It's good to know that there is not too much close by. I guess we will just have to see what we are offered and hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    We live in Paradise Gardens. We absolutely LOVE it. We have lived "out in town" once before also and we are way more happy with the decision to move into military housing. We only need one bedroom so our rent is $900 a month and we keep the other $900 to pay other bills. DH is only E-4 so the extra money is necessary for us since we have a pretty high car payment.

The Lincoln was amazing. I set the entire thing up living in Texas while DH was deployed. I did EVERYTHING by myself over the phone and through fax. The staff is amazing.

My friend lives in Lofgren Terrace which also is partial BAH but it is more expensive. They are happy here also and have a lot more square footage but they really pay for it.

I really suggest military housing. If would have been so much easier for us the first time around.

At paradise gardens it seriously takes DH 8 minutes to get to work pending traffic of course. We truly love it here. The maintenance workers have been absolutely amazing so far. From the dishwasher not being screwed into the counter to changing light bulbs that I couldn't figure out to fixing the storm door. They have been there the very day after I called about it.

There is another place similar to Paradise Gardens, I think its called Bonita Bluff. It's slightly cheaper (maybe $50/month) but I don't believe they have washer and dryer hook-ups and that was a must for us. When we lived out in town we had to go to a laundry mat twice a month and the cost was killing us so it has been very nice having a washer and dryer.

If you need any help please let me know. I think I have an e-mail when I was first looking into the Lincoln that has a ton of stuff about it. Also, if you choose to look more into Paradise Gardens I would be happy to take pictures of our apartment for you!

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy San Diego.
    Well that is good to know! I would love if you'd post pictures for me. We would have to have a 2 bedroom, but at least I could get an idea of the general building. Washer/dryer hookups are definitely a must for us as well. We are too spoiled and used to having our own.

Yes, I need all the help I can get haha! Any information you have is graetly appreciated, thanks. I made a list of all the ones that we supposedly qualify for and pros/cons to each (according to their website) but you never know what they ACTUALLY look like until you are there. I've never even BEEN to California before either, so I have no idea what is a good area. The Paradise Gardens look small but like they are a good layout for the size... On the one hand I would LOVE to save the extra money, but with a child I am not sure if we would rather have extra space. So much to decide! Thank you for your insight, and like I said I would love to see pictures of your apartment.
  10. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KaityBug View Post
    Oh, thank you so much for all the information!! It's good to know that there is not too much close by. I guess we will just have to see what we are offered and hope for the best!

Well that is good to know! I would love if you'd post pictures for me. We would have to have a 2 bedroom, but at least I could get an idea of the general building. Washer/dryer hookups are definitely a must for us as well. We are too spoiled and used to having our own.

Yes, I need all the help I can get haha! Any information you have is graetly appreciated, thanks. I made a list of all the ones that we supposedly qualify for and pros/cons to each (according to their website) but you never know what they ACTUALLY look like until you are there. I've never even BEEN to California before either, so I have no idea what is a good area. The Paradise Gardens look small but like they are a good layout for the size... On the one hand I would LOVE to save the extra money, but with a child I am not sure if we would rather have extra space. So much to decide! Thank you for your insight, and like I said I would love to see pictures of your apartment.
    I'm not home right now so maybe tonight or tomorrow I can pm you some pictures and the email I got from the Lincoln. I don't know if you have checked the Hot Sheet for the Lincoln but a lot of places have some sort of wait list. Others don't but a lot of the cheaper ones do.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast