Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How best to live in a home while it's on the seller's market?

1. Regular Member

How best to live in a home while it's on the seller's market?

Advertisements
    This is puzzling me - I've read suggestions, listened to my realtor - tried to take it all in and apply things. But I still feel like my home is messy, cluttered and looks unappealing. I finished our yard sale / freecycle giveaway spree - that got rid of over half of the stuff we use to have. Other items have gone into storage. I've cleaned, removed - rearranged.

We're still working on things (improvements) like the floor, walls, refinishing and repainting - touchups, the usual. I know once we get some of these touchup things done it'll look so much better. . .

But we just still have too much 'stuff' in each room. Kids have bunk beds and each has a dresser - toys, shoes, backpacks - all of these will go under the beds when the house is scheduled for a showing.

Cleaning supplies are slimed down - nice and neat in the closet.

But I still have things that can't be stored in the attic or storage shed until the heat wanes - I cook dinner every night and tried to pack away as many dishes that weren't needed as possible but there's still more left than is really visually appealing . . .you know -that kind of thing.

*sigh*

Or am I just being paranoid and worried? I remember house shopping and never liking to see any furniture of any kind - completely bare is what I preferred. But do others care? Will this really quell our attempts to sell?

Any suggestions on how ot make a 'living in' home on the market visually appealing would be great. I feel very lost and unthrilled. I've made a lot of progress and changes - but I feel it's far from decent.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Rent a storage room, or use a freinds basement or garage.

If YOU think it is cluttered, imagine how someone else will view it.

Get rid of everything that you don't need in there. Even if you pack it all in boxes and stack those boxes in the garage.

When you leave the house each morning, it needs to be clean. Put yourself in a buyers shoes. When you walk into your house, does it make YOU want to buy it?

A messy cluttered house also send two HORRIBLE messages:

"There is not enough closet and storage space." and

"This house is difficult to keep clean."
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Regular Member
    Yeah - I've done all that. Unfortunately I think I've gotten to a point where there's nothing else I can do other than keep things clean. I wish I could get rid of a few pieces of furniture but we've paired it down - even combined the kid's clothes into one unit per room and taken all clothes out of the closets and so on.

My mom suggested that I keep certain things in easy to move bins so I can put them in the van - like toiletries, extra dishes that I use often but don't have a real place for them- stuff like that -then just pack it into the van when I leave the house in the am.
  4. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    My only advice is to make sure your house isn't "personal" anymore. When you leave in the morning, try to make it look staged instead of lived in so buyers don't feel like they're walking into someone else's home. Make it as easy as possible for them to see their life in it instead of yours.
  5. Regular Member
    so I'm on the right track, then - Maybe the house looks pretty decent and I just think it's not?

I think I'll clean it up for a showing - and have my realtor come and give her opinion on what it looks like when people are scheduled to view it. . . see what she says with a walkthrough.
  6. Senior Member
    Can your realtor not help you do any staging? I work for a real estate company and our realtors always stage a house before an open house. Even if you're not having an open house, he/she always goes and stages it for the home owner.

You're paying your agent a LOT when the house sells, make them work for it.
  7. Senior Member
    Also, here are a few blog posts from Young House Love. They sold their house themselves, and did it pretty quickly too.

Showings A Plenty | Young House Love
    How We Sold Our House By Owner | Young House Love
    Double Bag It | Young House Love