Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living off base

1. Senior Member

Help Living off base

Advertisements
    so this will be our forst move. We are sure we want to live off base. My question when looking online what is a good distance to live from the base. All the houses i like are 20-25 minutes away. is that to far?
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Once you get there and drive to it you will figure out if you mind living that far away. Us personally don't, but some do.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    It depends. Here, it pays to live further away (literally, the rent decrease is HUGE) but it's also a pain of a commute in SoCal traffic.

BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

It really just depends on how you and your DH feel about the commute. It was about 45 minutes from our apartment to DH's company building when we were at Ft Drum. We weren't super crazy about the drive, but it wasn't bad, if we owed our own place or were living in a house we wouldn't of minded it at all, and will probably live just as far away when we buy a house eventually. Like PP said rent decreases significantly in most places the further you get from base, I've also noticed a lot of places right outside of base are not overly nice area's, so to find a nice place can put you further away from base. Here at Benning (DH is TDY enroute) if DH's duty station was here we would definitely live on base or a good 30 minutes away, I do not like the area right off post at all where we are staying. I hope you find a place you really like
  5. Senior Member
    20-25min seems like very decent commute to me. My kids' school is farther away from our house than that, and I make that drive at least twice a day. Dh's commute is about half an hour now, it's been as long as an hour.
  6. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Nope we live 45minutes away it's the only area that was is in our price range I like.

I'd say look in person at the places you think you love it can bite you in the butt hard going "this place looks nice" and signing everything before you get there.... DH and I did that and we ended up in an over priced hell hole in a not so nice part of town which for the price I'd expect way more. Now we live in a much nicer yet ceaper place in a much better area.
    Signature removed due to size.
  7. Senior Member
    We're about 15-20 mins out It really all comes down to how far you WANT to drive to base.
  8. Senior Member
    Depends on the person. DH doesn't mind a commute that long, I'd prefer not to have to commute that long if we can get comparable housing closer by or on base.
  9. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Db is forty min from base
  10. Senior Member
    Well thank you it's only DH that would have to make the drive so I would rather live in a nicer place further
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast