Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: finding a house

1. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!

finding a house

Advertisements
    When you had to PCS, how did you go about finding a new home? (off-base, that is)
    We have been using militarybyowner.com, which is great, but there must be other ways as well.
    Did you have someone go look at options for you, or take a personal look at a property if you could not get there?
    What kind of time period did you have your housing lined up by, or did you wait until you got there?
    I am big on planning in advance and having things ready very far in advance. I am also picky and would really rather see the entire home or have someone I trust see the whole thing before making any kind of agreement.
    This is making me nervous!
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    We used militarybuyowner and did the whole thing online, looked at pictures and such. We were confident it would be as we saw on the website. We found our place in July/August, sent him a deposit and he held it until we got there in Oct. The place was exactly how it was on the website, and we stayed there for over 2 years until we bought our current home.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    we bought this time so went with a realtor- but most areas you can go thru a realtor to find homes for rent
  4. Senior Member
    We used a realtor and a family member in the area looked at the house's we found in person. Worked out great for us. We started looking about 7 months in advance so we new the prices and what not
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    ahrn.com, or like others have said, a realtor. Most housing offices on base have local listings available too and can give you some realtor recommendations.
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

We got in touch with a realtor and told her what we wanted in a house, and then she sent us a website to look at. We picked out some houses and she had some suggestions, and we narrowed it down to 5. The day after we arrived she took us to look at houses, we picked the one we liked the best and made an offer on it.

We did end up paying more than we would have liked living in the hotel while we were waiting on closing, but we expected that and budgeted for it so it wasn't a big deal.
  7. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
    DH and I looked into VA Loans, and they suggested a realtor for us. So we contacted the realtor who sent us listings, we narrowed it down and I came out to visit for literally only 24 hours to look at the top houses on our list. Then I went back to AZ and we talked about it, and put in an offer via fax. Went under contract from AZ, and finalized the sale once we'd PCSed here!
  8. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    thanks ya'll!