Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Do emails count as legally binding agreements?

1. Moderator

Do emails count as legally binding agreements?

Advertisements
    I finally found the email where my landlady informed me that the owner of our house had agreed to finish fencing our yard. What I'm wondering is whether this counts as a binding agreement, even though it's not in the actual signed lease. The lease we signed is actually attached to the email where she claimed that they would fence our yard.

(I know the real answer is "go to legal and ask them" but my hubby is TDY right now and I wanted to get MSOS's thoughts on it. )

I would actually rather use this as part of our basis for breaking the lease without forfeit of deposit, rather than putting pressure on them to fence the yard now. It would have been nice for it to be done LAST summer, but at this point it would be too little too late, along with the other issues we've had with the house.

Any thoughts/experiences?
  2. Senior Member
    Yes it can be. especially if it came after the lease was signed.

But as I said it can be. I would not count on it being the way out for sure though.
  3. Senior Member
    The landlady is acting as the homeowner's "agent." The email, assuming it predates signing of the lease, should be binding.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Yes it can be. especially if it came after the lease was signed.

But as I said it can be. I would not count on it being the way out for sure though.
  5. Moderator

Sweet, thanks ladies! There have been some other more serious failures on the part of the property manager that I think would probably get us out of our lease on their own, but I want to have all the info possible when we do go about all this. I can't wait to get into a different house. Well actually, it's not even the house I can't wait to get away from, just the evil landlady.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    alot will also depend on when or if the said a time frame-

saying we will put a fence in - and saing we will have the fence in no later than dec
    that verbage is important if you try to push the issue because tho there is an expectation the fence will be put up soon, there is not contract to when it will get put up.

as for the other things- you want to make sure you have copies off all the emails, certified letters of the requests to fix the other problems.
    without them it will be hard for a judge to give you back your deposit
  7. Senior Member

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan