Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Question about housing/BAH/SanDiego

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Question about housing/BAH/SanDiego

Advertisements
    Hope this is in the right place. This board is kind of huge!

We are looking at military housing in San Diego. We are interested in something that will not take all of our BAH. We are E8. Does anyone know of any military housing that does not take all of your BAH? What's the likelihood of getting into E1-E6 housing that doesn't take it all?

Sorry if these aren't the brightest questions. I've never lived in military housing before, and all I've ever heard is "Don't live there because they take all your BAH!" Have only been "married to the military" for three years and DH has been in quite a while. People assume that I know all the ins and outs b/c he's been in so long, but *I* haven't!
  2. Senior Member
    There are only a few places that don't take all of your BAH.

Bayview Hills and Chollas Heights are 1,600 for 2 bedrooms-they're townhouse style.
    Eucalyptus Ridge is 1,400 (I believe) for a 2 bedroom townhouse. They're about 45 min up in the hills.
    There are a few more apartment style housing complexes, that are around 1,100 for a 2 bedroom. We currently live in one, but we hate it and we've got we paid for and wish we would have just waited out for somewhere nicer and spent the extra money on housing.

If you go on to Lincoln Military Housings website (you can google it) they have a list of all the San Diego properties and if it has a price down at the bottom-then they're flat rate, if it doesn't then they take all your BAH.
  3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

First welcome to MSOS, when you get a chance, please introduce yourself in the newbies section and read the stickies.

You may want to check out this thread MILITARY HOUSING IN SAN DIEGO (MURPHY CANYON and OTHERS)

I think you will find that in most cases where military housing is concerned, they will take all you BAH or leave you just enough (or not quite enough) to pay for gas/electricity.

Even if you did go into a lower rank housing area, the military and privitized housing do not work like that, it is paid off your rank not the housing area.

Basic Housing Allowence is for just that Basic Housing. The only time I have actually heard of people being able to save BAH is when the military member is deployed and the wife/husband moves back home and lives with family and pays not rent OR if you buy a house and pay a low mortgage or the house is paid off. So with saying all of that, chances that you will be able to save any of your BAH is low

4. Banned
    Banned
    Keep in mind that, last I heard, Bay view doesn't get AC and it gets hella hot out here!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirasmama10 View Post
    Keep in mind that, last I heard, Bay view doesn't get AC and it gets hella hot out here!
    A lot of the housing doesn't from what I've read. Lol. We don't get it either and it sucks.
  6. Senior Member
    Also, if your husband is Navy and you will be stationed down here, there is a class called COMPASS: A course for Navy life that you should check out. It's 3 nights in a row and they basically cover 100 different things you could possibly need to know about the Navy. Housing, pay, rank, PCS'ing, San Diego info, duty stations, acronyms, and so on. They feed you dinner and the women are really welcoming.
    Just thought I'd share because I went and loved it. You can get that extra info that is good to know when you're a military SO but can have a hard time picking up.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    A lot of the housing doesn't from what I've read. Lol. We don't get it either and it sucks.
    when we moved out here in 2006, the guy at our apartment complex said "oh you live close to the ocean you don't need it". Ya during a deployment that summer I nearly walked around naked all day.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    First welcome to MSOS, when you get a chance, please introduce yourself in the newbies section and read the stickies.

You may want to check out this thread MILITARY HOUSING IN SAN DIEGO (MURPHY CANYON and OTHERS)

I think you will find that in most cases where military housing is concerned, they will take all you BAH or leave you just enough (or not quite enough) to pay for gas/electricity.

Even if you did go into a lower rank housing area, the military and privitized housing do not work like that, it is paid off your rank not the housing area.

Basic Housing Allowence is for just that Basic Housing. The only time I have actually heard of people being able to save BAH is when the military member is deployed and the wife/husband moves back home and lives with family and pays not rent OR if you buy a house and pay a low mortgage or the house is paid off. So with saying all of that, chances that you will be able to save any of your BAH is low
    Thanks for all of the information! I will definitely check out the other threads and stickies.

We have always had pretty good luck renting well below BAH and had the ability to save.. until now. San Diego market is much different from anywhere we've been before.

There are only a few places that don't take all of your BAH.

Bayview Hills and Chollas Heights are 1,600 for 2 bedrooms-they're townhouse style.
    Eucalyptus Ridge is 1,400 (I believe) for a 2 bedroom townhouse. They're about 45 min up in the hills.
    There are a few more apartment style housing complexes, that are around 1,100 for a 2 bedroom. We currently live in one, but we hate it and we've got we paid for and wish we would have just waited out for somewhere nicer and spent the extra money on housing.
    If you go on to Lincoln Military Housings website (you can google it) they have a list of all the San Diego properties and if it has a price down at the bottom-then they're flat rate, if it doesn't then they take all your BAH.
    Good to know!

I don't know if I can do the no AC thing.

Also, if your husband is Navy and you will be stationed down here, there is a class called COMPASS: A course for Navy life that you should check out. It's 3 nights in a row and they basically cover 100 different things you could possibly need to know about the Navy. Housing, pay, rank, PCS'ing, San Diego info, duty stations, acronyms, and so on. They feed you dinner and the women are really welcoming.
    Just thought I'd share because I went and loved it. You can get that extra info that is good to know when you're a military SO but can have a hard time picking up.
    Thanks! Thats actually the first I've ever heard of COMPASS. Most of what I have picked up has been a total trial by fire!

when we moved out here in 2006, the guy at our apartment complex said "oh you live close to the ocean you don't need it". Ya during a deployment that summer I nearly walked around naked all day.
    We have a tiny shoebox apartment in CV right now. Last month (or maybe two months ago?) there was a heat flash.. and OMG.. the tiny 1970s ac unit just wasn't cutting it. AC is a MUST!