Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Shipping car to Korea - ports in US?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Question Shipping car to Korea - ports in US?

Advertisements
    We will be taking our car to Korea after our CS goes through. My husband says that we have to get it to a port on the West Coast. I'm seeing that there are ports all over the country (the closest of which for us is St. Louis). Does anyone know anything about this? I am not fond of the idea of driving 2000 miles to the West Coast.

TIA!
  2. Senior Member
    Has your husband made sure he is allowed to have vehicle shipped over. I believe it is based on a rank scale.

If he is indeed allowed than they ship from the port that will cost the least amount to get it to the new location. So if the ship to port (in this case Korea) is closer to the west coast than you will ship from the west coast. Seattle or LA most likely. If you were shipping to say England your car would be shipped from the east coast.

They might make an exception so he can always check but generally getting the car to the port they pick is up to you.
  3. Senior Member
    Accompanied families are allowed cars normallt regardless of rank I'm pretty sure. If they're unaccompanied its E-7 and up.

When we shipped to Italy we could ship from any location we wanted. I would call the car shipping company.
  4. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
    Accompanied families are allowed cars normallt regardless of rank I'm pretty sure. If they're unaccompanied its E-7 and up.

When we shipped to Italy we could ship from any location we wanted. I would call the car shipping company.
    When we were there and we just moved back recently (April this year) you have to be E7 and above and if you were E6 you have to get permission from your command.
    Things may have changed since they are allowing more families over but that was how it was while we were there. My dh is E7 so we had a car.
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Command sponsored families are allowed a car.

If we have to ship it from the West Coast, what is the best way logically to do this?? I'm in IL and he's in Korea. Do I drive it out there and then fly from Seattle?
  6. Senior Member

I wish I knew but I guess call the nearest VPC to you which you said was St. Louis. We did not take a car with us, we bought a beater while there then last year in August bought a brand new car. We got orders back to San Diego so it was sent to the SD VPC.