Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haggling Rent

1. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!

Question Haggling Rent

Advertisements
    Has anyone ever tried haggling rent for a prospective rental home?

I've never tried it, but was wondering what the outcomes have been for those who have.

TIA!
  2. Senior Member
    i've never rented a home personally.... but my family does have rental property.

when they set a price, it is usually what they hope they can get, and will fluctuate by 100-200$ a month. you may be able to just ask if the owner is able to go down on the price. also things like being able to move in ASAP, making it clear that you have a stable income, and paying in cash can bring the rent down.

these are things that make my family lower the rent, thought it might help!
  3. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Thanks for that!!! My parents own rental properties too, but they do Section 8, so they don't have a reason to have to haggle.

Cash....I never thought about paying in cash. Although,I'm kind of afraid to carry around a couple grand in cash. LOL!
  4. Senior Member

It never hurts to ask!
  5. Senior Member
    My parents just started renting a house (lost theirs due to foreclosure). They are from MI where things are craptastic right now. They talked the guy down from 1300$ to 1000$ since they are moving in right away and doing some repairs. Good luck and I agree it never hurts to ask
  6. Moderator

We haggled a little bit on ours. We weren't able to change the monthly rent amount, but we were able to get them to promise to finish the fence in the back (the fencing that's there is finished, but the yard isn't fully enclosed) and lock in the rent amount for the three years we will live here so that it can only increase by $15 yearly. The fence was really what we wanted so we were happy to barter it in.

I say go for it! Worst you can get is a no!
  7. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Thanks everyone!!! I wish we could do a 3 year lease, but even we don't know how long we'll be in the area. I know a military a clause would allow us out of it, but I don't want to commit to something knowing that we won't follow through on it.
  8. Senior Member
    I've been renting out a house in Jax for the last 5 years. I use a property manager, but am still flexible when it comes to rent. When the market was strong, I was firm, but this last lease, I came down $100 per month in rent because the market is tough...

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  9. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi89 View Post
    I've been renting out a house in Jax for the last 5 years. I use a property manager, but am still flexible when it comes to rent. When the market was strong, I was firm, but this last lease, I came down $100 per month in rent because the market is tough...
    Good to know!!!! I hope that's how it'll be for us in Pcola.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    it is pretty easy to do right now- just remember to be respectful when haggling - many will come down from 25-50 to a few hundred, and it never hurts to ask!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast