Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: RS Chicago, IL

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Confused RS Chicago, IL

Advertisements
    So my husband is going to be a recruiter in Chicago area... and so we're looking for a place to live... and since I've never been to Chicago, I need some tips on what to look for... or good area you'd recommend.

My husband is in San Diego now to go thru recruiting school.. and I'm gonna go there first to meet him on late April... then drive all the way to IL.

Currently I have no kid (but on the way... due 21 June) so I'm not lookin for area with good school or anything... I've seen craigslist.com and saw some town house/apartment with pool/gym facility which i thought was cool.. but never rented those before so I don't know how useful would it be... and I know that place snows. LOL I've never lived in a place that snows...

So any ideas/tips/recommendations/2 cents for those know knows the area or lived in the area before?

*Edit*
    My husband says look for places around Melrose Park... since his first recruiting area will be in Glendale Heights.
    Last edited by didueatmycake; 03-31-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: adding more info
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Big difference between chicago area and chicago. Suburbs or city? Huge area. I grew up in the south suburbs and can help you with info there or in the west suburbs. I can give some advice for the city. North and east (indiana) suburbs, I know little.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    *edited my original question*

We're lookin in West Chicago area... Melrose Park area.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    melrose park is cook county (huge county)...glendale heights is in Dupage county.

I used to work kind of in that area in Dupage county. Oak brook is a fairly expensive nice place to live...so is hinsdale. I think Melrose Park is nice too.
  5. His beautiful!!
    His beautiful!!

Smile

I currently live in Naperville which is a west suburb of Chicago. The schools here are excellent! It's a little pricey though. I can get the expressway and be downtown in 25-30 minutes. If you want you can pm me to ask questions.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by wren2010 View Post
    I currently live in Naperville which is a west suburb of Chicago. The schools here are excellent! It's a little pricey though. I can get the expressway and be downtown in 25-30 minutes. If you want you can pm me to ask questions.
    bolingbrook and romeoville are close too though and more affordable if you don't have to worry about the school districts.

people pay a premium to live in naperville for their schools
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    oh wow... premium? lol

yeah, I'm not really worried about school... at least for now, since I'm having a child soon and I'm plannin on staying just for 3 yrs...
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by didueatmycake View Post
    oh wow... premium? lol

yeah, I'm not really worried about school... at least for now, since I'm having a child soon and I'm plannin on staying just for 3 yrs...
    You'll find in the chicago area that you can have half a million dollar houses on one side of the street, and falling apart shacks on the others. The lines that separate nice areas from ghetto get easily blurred.

And living in a nice school district raises your cost of living a ridiculous amount. I bought a house one mile from my parents house, but in different school districts. My house cost half what theirs did, and I saw less crime strangely enough...all the criminals broke into the houses on the 'rich' side of the street' lol.
  9. Regular Member
    I'm in Illinois and DB is currently in Dahlgren,VA
    My recommendation is check out Bollingbrook, downers grove, justice, some of glendale heights areas are nice.
  10. Don't stop believing <3
    Don't stop believing <3
    Whatever you do... Do not live in or anywhere near Cicero.

I wouldn't live in the heart of the city either, but that's just me. I would definitely be looking in an outside suburb. Some posters already named a few good recommendations. I know someone said Naperville... that's a nice place, but way too pricey. If you were looking to go somewhere near Naperville I'd recommend Oswego.. but that's like a 45 minute drive to Chicago.