Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lease/base housing question

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Help Lease/base housing question

Advertisements
    Ill try to keep this short.
    When DH and I first moved here, we werent married, didnt know the area and just jumped on whatever place we could find that we could afford. After we got married, we got a bigger and nicer apartment (which we are in now). We still dont exactly live in the best place, though. There have been a few fights in the (dark) parking lot where we park our truck. And then last night, we come home from shopping to find two guys yelling and cussing at each other in the parking lot. We went inside to change clothes and not even 15 minutes later, came back out to leave. As we are leaving, we see one guy standing on the grass with two large stick things in his hands, yelling about how he was going to kill this other guy (who was standing by the door of one of the apartments). The second guy goes into the apartment and comes back out with what looked like either a large knife or maybe a pipe and proceeded to chase the first guy down the street.
    Theses kind of things have really started to bother me lately with DHs upcoming deployment. I was able to talk to our ombudsman for the first time today and she said thats if there is a military clause in our lease, that it would be possible to break it if we were accepted into base housing. We are really wanting to go on base for multiple reasons, but the main one being our security and me feeling safe when Im alone.
    I looked through the lease and there is a military clause but only if we get relocated or something like that. Otherwise, we have to pay roughly $2500 to get out of it.
    Im grasping at straws here, but is there anything else that might could be done to get us out of our lease? I doubt it, other than paying the money, but Im also new to all of this so I thought that the worst yall can tell me is that Im right.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

you could stretch that they are relocating you on base... Most of the time they just want to see something "official looking" I would just show them a copy of his deployment orders and be like we have to go on base for safety reasons
  3. Formally known as MRZ. ROBINSON
    Formally known as MRZ. ROBINSON
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if that could get you out of the lease, but your safety means the most, so I would pay the money and feel safe
    I Love My Baby!
  4. ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!

Loves her Beautiful Wifey, Liegh.

KennyB = Greatness!
  5. Marine Property
    Marine Property
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    you could stretch that they are relocating you on base... Most of the time they just want to see something "official looking" I would just show them a copy of his deployment orders and be like we have to go on base for safety reasons

When we first rented this place that was our first question and the lady who rented us the apartment told us this same thing
  6. SAILORS WIFE
    SAILORS WIFE
    Jacksonville, fl (orange park) soon to be in San Diego CA
    you should def try to get base housing and get out of that area...you wont feel safe at all when your hubby leaves and it will stress you and him out...which base is he stationed at?

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by TBerard View Post
    you should def try to get base housing and get out of that area...you wont feel safe at all when your hubby leaves and it will stress you and him out...which base is he stationed at?
    Hes stationed at Pt Mugu
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    Our ombudsman suggested something like this too. Our landlord is a bit of a *insert badword* so who knows how that would go.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by lil_liegh View Post
    Our ombudsman suggested something like this too. Our landlord is a bit of a *insert badword* so who knows how that would go.
    well, as long as the lease says that you just have be to relocating, and does not give an exact distance you have to be moving, then it should not be a big deal...

When DH and I were looking for apt. here we double checked with every place we looked at for this exact reason.... Its all about how you word it, present it, and all that good stuff
  10. Senior Member
    You could try talking to them about how unsafe you feel. And you shouldn't feel unsafe in your own home. I would talk to someone on base. Maybe take your lease into legal and see what they say.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast