Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Our situation (maybe)

1. Junior Member

Our situation (maybe)

Advertisements
    well ...my husband has put in for comissioning in the AF (through the ASCP or POC program which basically means that he will be seperating from the military for 2 years to finish his degree and then he'll be back in as an officer. If accepted, this is a guarenteed commission (so long as he passes everything - which he will ). So the question I'm going to ask will be only if he is accepted (he will find out in Jan). If he get's in we will be moving to Phoenix, which is where he school is located. We both love Arizona and it is somewhere that I would more than happily live when he's done with the military. We are concidering buying a house, knowing we may only be there for the max of 2 years before we move somewhere else ... here's the thing. Houses are SO cheap there right now. We were thinking of either using the VA loan or finding the 20% downpayment and getting a fixed rate 15 year loan. For the prices we are looking at it will come to about $500 - 600 a month. Now, We will try and rent this out once we leave, but once he gets commissioned, he will receive around $1000 base pay increase - plenty to pay our mortgage until we can find renters. Do you guys think this is a bad idea? I want more than anything a house in the Phoenix area and I can't beleive how cheap the house prices are right now!!
  2. Senior Member
    I would... as long as you are willing to live at the same level you are now once he's an officer. Does he qualify for the GI Bill? If so he should be able to get BAH, I would just pay as much as you can while your actually living there.
  3. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
    I would... as long as you are willing to live at the same level you are now once he's an officer. Does he qualify for the GI Bill? If so he should be able to get BAH, I would just pay as much as you can while your actually living there.
    Yea .. that would pretty much be all he will be earning for the 2 years .. the rest will be from me .. but if the mortgage will be around $500 - 600 its actually cheaper than an apartment in the area .. I've already spoken to my parents who will be there to help us if we need $'ss for any reason, so we have backup beacuse those 2 years might be kinda rough .. we're gonna feel like millionaires once he get's back to being AD!!! LOL! .. plus I really dont see a problem with renting it out as we are going to look for places close to Luke AFB and if we only want to get enough to pay the mortgage and renters fees, then we'll find renter in no time!!!