Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My latest project/idea (Jamie-Jibstah-read me!)

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

My latest project/idea (Jamie-Jibstah-read me!)

Advertisements
    So we are finally working on our room. We painted the master bath, tore out the old shitty shower doors, got a new toilet, new vanity and just waiting on medicine cabinet and some storage/shelf.

I also took all our Ikea "birch" furniture and primed/painted it black, it looks great against the light blue of our room. But now I have this grand idea of covering the mirrored doors of our closet (which run allll the way along an entire wall).

This is what our room looks like now (not our room-just a pic off the internet)

Except we just have three large doors. So what I am wanting to do is first paint the edges/trim of the mirrors black. Then buy some window screens rolls in that etched white color and put that over the mirrors. Then buy some thin strips of wood and paint them black and glue them down over it in like a Japense door style. So it will look similar to this when done (except I am wanting to do a bit different pattern with the wood):

This is more like the pattern/style I am thinking about though...

So, do you think this would work? Do you think gluing it down with some super duper adhesive would work? Any problems you can forsee?
  2. I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    My only question would be the functionality once it's done...Is it a closet you use???
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Yes, it is. I found wood to line it that's very thin (1/4) inch, so it would still be able to open/close as needed, even after we put the wood on.
  4. I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    Awesome then I love the idea I think it's pretty and sleek....I really hope it works for you the way you want it to...
  5. Senior Member
    That will look really good! Are you thinking of doing the squares of the grid as close together as that second picture? Or just that general idea? A whole wall of squares that size might look really busy.

Just wanted to say I love your color scheme! I have the light blue and black accents going on in my room too.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    I think that'd look great, Trey! And you're giving me ideas for our master (if I ever get all this other shit done so I actually can work on the master!).
  7. A Beautiful Mistake
    A Beautiful Mistake
    I think that looks amazing! Wtg@!!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imjustme View Post
    That will look really good! Are you thinking of doing the squares of the grid as close together as that second picture? Or just that general idea? A whole wall of squares that size might look really busy.

Just wanted to say I love your color scheme! I have the light blue and black accents going on in my room too.
    I was thinking that there is the risk of it looking too busy as well, but I honestly can't say for sure unless I see a whole wall done in that small rectangle, unless you're going to be keeping the thickness of the inner lines really thin like in the first picture.

You say you have light blue walls, right? Maybe try going for a more off-white color than what is in the pictures posted, I think the white may bring too much bright into the room, and the Japanese rice paper is actually a really life tan/white color from what I've seen.

This website may help you do the design that you want:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4690378_build-shoji-screen.html
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    Awesome then I love the idea I think it's pretty and sleek....I really hope it works for you the way you want it to...
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by imjustme View Post

No, not as close together, but thinner like that. I was thinking maybe 2 rows of 6-8 squares on each door? Or three rows of 6-8 squares? Basically take the picture of that medicine cabinet and stretch it so it covers the entire door. Thanks about the color scheme! We like the cool tones in there, it seems very crisp and relaxing to us.

Quote Originally Posted by jennypage View Post
    I think that'd look great, Trey! And you're giving me ideas for our master (if I ever get all this other shit done so I actually can work on the master!).
    WTF? Why is it that homeowners pick their OWN room last? 8 months later and we are working our master now too.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by helloimkaley View Post
    I was thinking that there is the risk of it looking too busy as well, but I honestly can't say for sure unless I see a whole wall done in that small rectangle, unless you're going to be keeping the thickness of the inner lines really thin like in the first picture.

You say you have light blue walls, right? Maybe try going for a more off-white color than what is in the pictures posted, I think the white may bring too much bright into the room, and the Japanese rice paper is actually a really life tan/white color from what I've seen.

This website may help you do the design that you want:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4690378_build-shoji-screen.html
    Thanks for the site, that's awesome! That will definitely help! And I updated in the post above, but we aren't doing tons of tiny squares, just that style. So basically the entire door would look the same as the front of that medicine cabinet. Not a million little squares. I would lose my mind trying to do that!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast