Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What type of house did you purchase? (material)

1. Missing you more each day...
    Missing you more each day...

What type of house did you purchase? (material)

Advertisements
    So dh and I are in the process of looking for a house. I have found a few that are made out of wood, its hard to find brick houses in Chicago for under $200,000 but Im looking lol. So my question is did you purchase a wooden frame house or a brick house and why?

I keep hearing mixed reviews on both and Im just getting more confused lol

Any information you can share will be greatly appreciated! TIA
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    My house had aluminum siding....yeah brick houses are ok, but generally more expensive and there really weren't any in the area where I was looking...(joliet). Honestly, I don't really see too much of a difference besides aluminum has to be upkept and occasionally replaced every 30-40 years...maybe less, maybe more. I replaced all the windows, siding, and roof in my 1920's house with all the originals a few years ago and it only cost maybe $18k.

I will tell you though when we had the earthquake last year in Illinois I was on the second story in my house and I could feel my bed vibrating, I called my mom the next day (she lived down the street in an all stone house) and she never felt a thing.....she also sleeps like the dead which could have something to do with it.
  3. Senior Member
    We have a house with aluminum siding and part brick... I personally dont care though. My parents have an all brick house and I know its very expensive for brick up in Chicago since majority of brick is made in the south and brought up north. But you might be able to find an older house that is majority brick. Brick houses still have problems with termites and other "wood" insects though because its usually only just a layer of brick on the outside of wood.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    lol I'll give you a slammin deal on my house for sale in Joliet....stupid housing market is starting to tick me off!
  5. Missing you more each day...
    Missing you more each day...
    Quote Originally Posted by *skittles* View Post
    lol I'll give you a slammin deal on my house for sale in Joliet....stupid housing market is starting to tick me off!
    LOL thanks but I think I have to pass...dh doesn't even want to move to the north suburbs arghhh!! lol but he is starting to see how difficult it is buying a house in the city so he's changing his mind little by little lol!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Its hard finding affordable, decent, safe housing in the chicago city limits....its possible, but difficult. But yeah brick houses still have wood frames...I think you'd be fine finding a house with aluminum or wood siding...juts remember wood needs to be maintained more than aluminum (painting, etc)
  7. Senior Member
    Aluminum siding