Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you had a small house which would like to have more?

1. Senior Member

Question If you had a small house which would like to have more?

Advertisements
    Our house is small. 1100 sq ft 4 bedrooms, 1 and 1/2 bathrooms. The bathrooms are directly across the hall from each other. I thought it was stupid when we bought the house and I still think its stupid. I want to take out the smaller half bath and make it into a coat closet on one side and a linen closet on the other. Right now we have no place for linens or coats. plus that would free up a few feet of space in the living room.

If you had a small house with very limited storage which would you like better

1 and 1/2 baths

or

1 full bath and a coat closet and linen closet
  2. Senior Member
    I want to have the storage space and I think potential buyers would too. Right now we keep our towels on those boring white wire shelf deals above the toilet. John always hits his head on the shelving. I keep the blankets, extra bedding and extra towels in bins and large zip lock bags under our bed. The coats have to go on a rack and in a wardrobe box in the garage because the closets are to small to hold anything other than clothes. John thinks it would be MORE expensive to take out the bathroom and make it into a closet. He thinks is will hurt the value of our house.

If we keep the bathroom we have to redo the floor, mirror, light fixture, vanity, sink and faucet. Plus the walls are weird. They need to be sanded down and retextured.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    personally I would always rather have two toilets.......I have lived with one and it was a nightmare.
  4. Senior Member
    I would rather have the 1 1/2 bath. you can always use wardrobes for your linens or coats. Plus it will sell better, when you go and sell it.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wb3690 View Post
    personally I would always rather have two toilets.......I have lived with one and it was a nightmare.
  6. Senior Member
    Theres no place to put a wardrobe though. I looked into it when we first bought the house but the only logical place was in the garage and I didn't want creepy crawly things getting into my towels or coats.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    from a buyers perspective.. honestly, loosing a bedroom to get storage/ a second full bath would be a better investment. I know I would never buy a 4 bed with one bath. My family would have killed each other...
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by endangeredreams View Post
    from a buyers perspective.. honestly, loosing a bedroom to get storage/ a second full bath would be a better investment. I know I would never buy a 4 bed with one bath. My family would have killed each other...

I was just going to say that if it's a 4 bedroom why not make one of those bedrooms a storage area....maybe you could renovate that with a closet because at 1100 sq ft a 4bedroom has to have some small bedrooms.

I have a family of 4 and would NEVER buy a house without 2 full baths.....I need 2 toilets and 2 places to bathe/shower.
  9. Senior Member
    i would rather have two toilets...though i do agree that them being directly across from each other is pretty stupid....unless youre doing a round of "battleshits"
    no one will know me now because my siggy is gone
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."-Unknown
    hes home
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by endangeredreams View Post
    ooooo yeah didn't think of that. Plus I would never buy a 4 bed room with only 1100 square feet. I might buy a 3 bedroom with 1100 square feet and 2 full baths though... or better yet 2 1/2 baths!

Great Idea!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast