Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Has anyone bought a house that wasn't at the duty station?

1. Senior Member

Has anyone bought a house that wasn't at the duty station?

Advertisements
    Dh has orders to SD but we are wanting to buy a house. We will probably buy in Wisconsin since that is all we really know. I really don't want to be apart from dh but I just can't comprehend paying rent anymore. So have any of you ever bought a house somewhere and then your SO was stationed somewhere else?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    no- IMO it is hard enough being married, AND being military BUT choosing to live apart simply because you don't want to pay rent seems a little crazy to me-

we are all in the mindset that if we do not buy a home 'we are WASTING" our money.

And this is so far from the truth; when you pay for housing whether it is for rent or a mortgage you are paying for the same thing; Comfort, enjoyment and safety.
    You are providing your self and your family a home to live in-
    in this market you cannot be sure that if you need to sell in 2-3 or even 4 yrs you will turn a profit and may actually lose money- when you cannot pay the balance of your mortgage at the closing table.
  3. Senior Member
    I guess I'm crazy then.

We wouldn't have to worry about selling down the road because he'll be done and we'll be moving back here anyway.

Anyone have experience with this?
  4. Banned
    Banned
    What about how often you could see him? what about the baby- how often will your DH get to see him? with a deployment you do not have a choice but when you choose to live apart it does not only affect you but your child as well.

you said "later down the road" but not how much later- 1 yr, 2 yrs 3 yrs more?

WI is not close to SD,,, have you looked at the logistics of getting to and from- how often, who will come to see whom and when?

I am not bashing at all- we are looking at doing the GEO thing next yr- BUT it will be DH's twilight tour ( last one before retirement) and it will be for 3 yrs..
    BUT we do not have kids at home, and I have a flexible job where I can hop on a plane any day of the week to go out and see him.
    financially we are ok to have 2 households, meaning DH would rent his own apt wherever he moves too.

you will do what is best for you and your family- and I will respect that- just look at all the if's and buts and make an educated decision.

BTW-- your little guy is a cutie!!!