Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smelly fridge?

1. Senior Member

Question Smelly fridge?

Advertisements
    Right around new years my fridge/freezer started to smell bad. Really really bad like there is rotting meat somewhere in it. We've tossed all the food that was in it. I took out all the shelves and drawers and washed them with hot water and clorox bleach. I wiped out the inside of the fridge and the freezer with the bleach water. I pulled out the pan under the fridge to make sure it was clean and it was. I looked under and behind the fridge, nothing but dust bunnies. My dad thinks maybe its leaking freon but the little bit of research I did suggests freon doesn't have a smell. The fridge is on the old side. I don't know exactly how old but I'd guess 10-15 years.

Anyone have any ideas whats making it smell?
  2. Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    no idea

Try putting some baking soda in there to get rid of it?

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coloradokitkat View Post
    no idea

Try putting some baking soda in there to get rid of it?

I've used a huge box of it. I put a large bowl of it in the fridge and large bowl of it in the freezer. My mom suggested using a baking soda paste to clean it but I don't want to deal with the mess. I figure the bleach I used is good enough.
  4. Senior Member
    Did you wipe down the seals? Sometimes blood can get in there too. Does your fridge have a water dispenser? If so change that filter too.
  5. Senior Member
    I wiped down everything but the top and the outsides. I even cleaned in the folds of the seals. I really want that smell gone. Nope, no water dispenser.
  6. Senior Member
    use a lemon cleaner. Lemon neutralizes odors

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybee View Post
    I'm not one of those weirdos who use the vibration on their phone to pleasure themselves, so I can't imagine what horror my phone had witnessed that made life too unbearable.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles35 View Post
    use a lemon cleaner. Lemon neutralizes odors

or i was gonna suggest vinegar
  8. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    If there's an unknown odor and everything else is clean then you might have a crack or crevace that food has gotten into and gone bad (outside the cold of the fridge it could happen quickly) There might be an old gasket or seal that prevents leaks - but has cracked, as well)

And if you have a self-defrosting freezer (if your freezer doesn't collect a layer of ice on the walls it's self-defrosting or "iceless") then on the bottom of the freezer, somewhere, is a small hole that is connected to a tube - this tube collects the water that is produced when the sides of the compartment are heated/defrosted and that water drains down through a tube to the collection pan and then it's evaporated away, slowly.

It's always possible that something got into the tube and started to mold and it's common for algae to build up in teh lower portion where the tube is warmest.- so look up your make and model on the net and see about how to check it's condition.
    My tube is visible on the back of our fridge so I can see any blockage.
  9. Senior Member
    I hadn't thought to look for tube. There is a drain in the bottom of the fridge under the veggie drawers. I couldn't get the top off it to look inside it. I'll have to figure it out.
  10. I Love my IT2
    I Love my IT2
    After going through 3 hurricanes and having to "de-stink" the fridge I have finally learned the secret to getting rid of the "stank"
    Coffee Grinds! Just stick them in a bowl in the freezer or fridge (empty) and turn it on. If that doesnt work try Charcoal. Heck try them both at the same time! they both work!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast